Chapter 31 • Advice

((This has 7k reads, omg <333))

No one's POV:

The sky was drowning in gold sunlight and darkened clouds. It might rain. It might not. And under it, Soviet was passing by, walking on a dull pathway to an even more dull building. Not all buildings in The East are built equal. Not all can live up to the standard in Moscow.

He was only there for a short meeting. Nothing more. It was just him and a divided country, who timidly spoke about how their country had been doing great (it wasn't, but Soviet would've hated to hear that). The conversation lasted for as long as half hour, or until it ended in a tense silence. A build-up of pressure had rose up inside of East Germany as he couldn't help but notice a slight attitude in his boss' behaviour: his eye gave a hard glare and his hand tapped against the table impatiently.

By the time the meeting had ended, the smaller was more than pleased he wasn't targeted by the other's unknown irritation. Though, his blood ran cold at the thought he'd take it out on people more vulnerable. To ease himself, he spoke up in a quiet yet polite manner, all in the language his boss spoke:
"How - um - how had your week been, sir?"
"Fine. Why do you ask?" Soviet was more than ready to leave with his coat halfway on.
East stepped back,
"You seem just... A little bit stressed? I just want to - well - make sure you're alright," he stuttered.
"It's just work and... Business." Soviet approached the door to leave.
"Right, right. If there's something you need help with, I'd be more than happy to!"

Soviet only muttered under his breath in response. As his hand reached for the doorknob, ready to pull the door back and exit, his mind had him stop. An angered sigh escaped his breath. A week had passed since the sleeping incident and he hasn't forgave himself since. And worse yet, the nights since he had found himself hugging the small bear he had been gifted while he slept. A longing for companionship had awakened in him. And he hated it. It made his heart wild and his mind angered.

Swiftly, he turned his head to face his lesser, who took another step back. East balanced himself with his hand leaning on the table, away from Soviet.
"Actually," Soviet began, "you're good at advice, are you not?"
"Uhm... I can do my best," East slowly nodded.
With his hand away from the doorknob, Soviet stood clear as day in front of East. His figure loomed over the other. It was silent. The clock on the wall ticked a dozen times over.
"How would you..." Soviet's voice lowered in a quiet hum, much to the surprise of the other, "how would you deal with feelings for another...?"

East stuttered back for a moment, unsure what to answer with. Whatever he anticipated for, it was not this.
"Feelings? Do you mean love...?"
"What do you think I mean?!" A flustered voice yelled back.
East flinched,
"Sorry, sir!" It was a stupid question. East was tempted to ask if Soviet had fancied someone, but decided it was a just as stupid question. "Well, I would probably... Treat them nicely? Give them gifts... Presents... Attention?"
"I should've explained further- and what if you can't be with that person?!"
"Uhm... I'm, well... I'm not too sure about that- why...? has something happened, sir...?" He felt it was a bad question by the time it left his tongue.

Soviet took a step back, into the glow of the sunlight that came through the windows. That uncontrolled mind of his would've had him lash out further, though his cracking heart had him ponder. He was brought tothevery thought of that short, British man who had managed to input his love into his thoughts. Any anger he had left turned into irritating and a flustered feeling; perhaps confusion.

"There's someone - I'm not naming names! - who's... Interested in I... And I've made a horrible mistake of taking them up on that offer!"
East, although much more relaxed at the other's tone than he was just mere seconds ago, kept still at the suddeness of his emotions. Never once had he seen his boss so flustered up... Or so in love? It was the best he could assume. A great question formed in his logical mind - a mind which knew best and had made Soviet fond of his likeness so much so that he was treated just as well as an ally.

"Well, are you interested in them?"

Soviet sneered back with an ugly expression. He gritted his teeth, breathing through them to avoid giving an answer.
"We can't be together! It'd be disgusting!"
"Might I ask who it is, sir...?
"No." Soviet responded quickly.
East nodded back just as quickly.
"Well, the question still remains: do you like them back? That's, in my opinion, the most important thing."

Soviet placed his hand against his mouth (soon to the entire half of his face), uttering out silently in annoyance. His eye avoided looking at the other, preferring to stare out the window instead. The question stumped him. There wasn't a single answer he liked.

"That's the hard thing," his heart spoke out, "I shouldn't, but it just... It works out, you know?! He cares for me, no matter what I do! And he... He makes me feel..." He didn't know or understand the words for it, "good? If that's the word for it-"
"In love?" East asked quietly.
East had heard the word he one too many times for it to be a mistake... It clicked in his head that it must of been a mistake on Soviet's part to reference the gender. He knew deep down that he would've wanted to say she instead. Perhaps that's why Soviet thought they shouldn't be together. Not to anger him, East kept quiet.

Soviet's face burned bright red. That had been the right word. Love. And he didn't want to admit it... But, if that's what the feeling is, then why should he say otherwise? Why should he be wrong?

"... Yes... Yes! I do love him!"

"Then that's all that matters..." East stuttered, still shocked by the idea that his boss was queer (and so willingly or accidentally shared it). "If you love hi- her, then it must be right! You've nothing to worry about."

Covered in pleasent sunlight, Soviet, for the first time ever in East's eyes, smiled. He gaily (happily) smiled with genuine pleasure. A reassurance crossed his mind.
"You're right!" He prepped to leave the room, "thank you, East."