Chapter 38 • Liar!

Britain's POV:

I've never been called into UN's office unless it were something so dire. I've not a single clue what's to occur or what he has to say. I can hardly focus on the area that surrounds me; my leg is twitching, and my heart is beating in my eardrums. Nothing's happened, right? I hope not! I really hope not. But, then why would he call me so urgently?!

"Britain." A clear voice yanks me from my thoughts. "Come on."
I dart my eyes up to non other than the man hinmself. UN, who's looming over me and blocking all light from the ceiling. It's dizzying to raise my head to his. Does he not feel the same from looking down on others so much? I wouldn't want to ask, it might be a bit rude— I shouldn't let my thoughts distract me! He's already walking off, and he walks quickly too!
Hurridly, I get off the chair in the hallway and have to practically chase after him. I don't get why his office has to be on the highest floor of this building! Does he not get tired walking up so many steps? Is he not afraid of heights...? ... That's a stupid question, of course he isn't!

Once at the office, UN holds the door open for me to enter. It's such a stark contrast to the hallways outside of it. While I've just spent the past minute walking through near white halls and well lit areas, his office is all dim and gloomy! The walls are painted in a dark blue and he chose to use the darkest wood for his desk! Even the window is shut and covered by the blinds! It doesn't make me comforted at all.
"How was the ride here, Britain?" UN asks, as if he's trying to lighten this place.
I wait for him to sit first before I do so.
"It was fine..." I hug my arms around my body. "How are you as well?"
"I'm doing fine myself."

There's an uncomfortable silence as he picks up a few papers, tapping them together by their edges on the tables. He'd be great at interrogations... Is he about to interrogate me?!
"So, you're definitely wondering why I've called you here. Right?"
I nod,
"You said it was urgent."
He nods back. The papers are all sorted, but he stills taps it against the wood just a few more times.
"NATO had received something earlier this week from China. It concerns you." He slides it over to me.
"Me?" I hold the papers, not reading any of them yet. "What do you mean?"
"Its about you and USSR." He states dryly.
Of course. Of course it's about that. Are they trying to get me to leave him?! I'm not surprised. Soviet had told me about his recent... issues regarding China. And I'm certain my son – and everyone else who associates with him, like NATO – are taking the opportunity to get me and Soviet to break up. And, of course, they had to get UN to do something about it! Of course they don't want to confront me personally. We haven't even spoken personally in months... Well, I'm not having it!

I pass the papers back, sliding them against the table with a hissing noise.
"I'm sorry, but I know where this is going! You already know my decision very well, and I won't leave him!"
In response, he pinches my hand with a tight grip as he slides the papers back. I suppose it was rude to act out like that.
"Alright. And I insist that you at least read this so you know what you're getting into."
I glare my eyes at the papers, soon taking them in. For the next ten minutes – in silence – I read everything. Every so often, UN would chime to translate anything I couldn't, but for the most part it was silent. Eventually, all I could hear was the clock ticking. It must of ticked hundreds of times by now.

Once I was done reading, I couldn't even read anymore. Physically I couldn't. There were so many tears welled up in my eye. When I blinked, it all came out in a single stream. This isn't real. This isn't real. This is not real! My throat got caught in a gasp as I struggled to breathe in. My hand grasps around my mouth while my head lowers.

"Britain—"
"You're lying!" I cried.
"We're not." UN spoke calmly.
I couldn't even look up at him. Its too blurry to see, anyways. My head was hung low, covered by my hands.
"You are!" I snap back. "He'd never do something like this! Never!
"Britain—" UN speaks up.
"He stayed by my side when everyone else hadn't!"
UN holds his hand out,
"Britain!—"
"He treated me better than anyone ever had! This is a lie! It has to be!—"
"United Kingdom!" UN slams his hand on the desk.

I flinch back, half expecting him to attempt to slap me on the wrist. All I can hear is my own breathing, which is more like sobbing. Soviet would never do something like that, would he? He wouldn't have wasted nearly a year to... He loves me! He has to! He wouldn't have wasted a year trying to take over my land! He just wouldn't!
UN glares down at me,
"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled... But you need to understand that, by staying with USSR, you're endangering yourself, your kingdoms, and your people."
I take a sharp breath in,
"But..." I don't have the words.
I sink my head into my hands and begin to sob again.

UN steps closer to me and kneels down to eye level. He says nothing. All he does is place his hand on my shoulder.
"Oh lord... My son was right..." More tears well up and my throat tightens. "Ame was right and I didn't listen to him."
How could I not listen?! Why didn't I listen?! I've pushed away my son, my family, everyone else who was close to me, for someone who didn't even love me! The silver bracelet he gifted me so many months ago chimes as my hand shakes with my head. I can't help but feel the scar across the side of my head.
"It's alright, you didn't know—"
"But I did! I was told so many times, but I didn't listen!" I wail.
Without warning, UN pulls me into a needed hug. I burry my face into his shoulder, trying to hide my shame.

I don't know how much time has passed... I don't care; I don't want to dawn on that. The clock has ticked perhaps a hundred times by now.
"You don't need to be the one to tell USSR. I'll do that for you."
I nod, sheepishly uttering out:
"Thank you..." But I don't think I deserve that weight being lifted from me.
"I'd advise... changing your phone number too, perhaps. He does have it, doesn't he?"
I nod once more.
"He knows my address, too."
"... I'd suggest moving elsewhere too, then. Do anything to stay away from him." UN stands upright.
I've so many memories I've made in that house... Am I ready to let that all go?
"I'll think about it..." I choke up once more, "I want to speak to Ame... I feel horrible for doubting him!"
"I think you should."

~~~

No one's POV:

America was told that UN would be visiting him. He had an idea as to what for, but wasn't sure what the conclusion had been. As he slouched around in his well lit office, the door clicked open and America shot his head up.
"Hey, can you knock next time?—"
UN stood to the side, ignoring the other's complaint. Instead, he held the door open for the much more sullen Britain, who tip-toed inside with his arms around his body. America sharpened his eyes at his own father. In that moment, he wanted to say something snarky, akin to 'I told you so', but hesitated when a noticeable tear formed in the other's eye. He shook the feeling off, but wouldn't say anything to his father.
"Why did you bring him here?!" He mouthed to UN.
UN didn't give much response, only shrugging with one arm. As he did so, Britain ran up and hugged his son tightly. America readied himself to back up, to push his father away, and to yell out in annoyance.

"I'm sorry, America! I'm so sorry! I should've listened!"

---

((Okay, here's the deal. From the past few chapters, I know you lot are obsessed with Wales and China at the moment. I don't have plans for them at all, BUT! If you lot get my Instagram account (@starlightkid72) to 100 followers (the average a chapter gets is at least 100 views. Its not that hard) BEFORE chapter 40, I will write one oneshot between these two in my random ch stuff book. Get it to 150 followers and I'll write three oneshots
Anyways, love y'all<3))