Chapter 36 • Secret Meeting

China's POV:

A week has passed. Soviet and I are no longer on speaking terms. But, I'm still on speaking terms with someone else. Someone who might agree with what I have to say.

I've already thought it out. I won't hesitate to reveal Soviet's true (or what once was true) intentions for my own benefit. And I'm certain the person I'm about to speak with is more than keen to help.

It's quite the hassle to travel out to his country, but it's better than nothing. Where did he say to meet up again? A café... I wonder where it is. The street signs are so difficult to read (but I suppose it's not really in English, is it?). Eventually, I manage to traverse around and find the café he was on about. Stepping inside, I notice him immediately, sitting down alone on a table. I sit opposite him.

"China," he tuts quietly.
"Wales," I mutter just as quietly.
We're both in human disguise, for obvious reasons. We don't want to be spotted together.
"So, what's had you so worked up?" Wales gets straight into business.
"It's about Soviet and Britain." I cross my arms.
I still can't believe it. He's genuinely in love with that man!
"What? That they're together? ... I think we've known about that for awhile now."
"No, it's not just that." I take in a sharp breath.
He looks at me with that indescribable expression, humming out:
"Go on?"
"They shouldn't be together. We need to do something about it!"
"Only now you realise?" He utters.

I don't think they should've ever been together... But, under the pretense that Soviet would do something with Britain, it seemed fine for the time being... But he's doing nothing.

"They should've never gotten together like that!"
"What? Were there different plans?" He rests his head in his hand, leaning against the table.
For a short second, he smiles at the comment. He's being serious, isn't he? I don't see why he'd be joking at a time like this.
"What do you think?! I thought he was going to do something – anything! – with Britain, but he's done nothing! He actually loves him now—"
"Wait, I was just joking! ... Think you could elaborate on those plans?"
I cover my mouth in embarrassment. How could I so willingly reveal information like that?! This situation really has me upset, doesn't it?
"I think you can figure out those plans... you're smart enough." I huff.
He is quite smart. Smarter than I thought... And I still can't believe I didn't figure that out until after he got that evidence on me.

"I see..." He knows exactly what the plans would've been. "So, what are your plans with me?" He stares into my eyes.
"Sorry?"
"Well, if Soviet's plan was to control Britain... is your plan similar?—"
"No!" I quickly blurt out, "I've no interest in doing anything of the sorts with you."
A short smile turns into short laughter. Does he not think I'm genuine?!
"Really? Rwy'n amau hynny (I doubt that)."
"Yes, really! You're..."
"I'm...?"
I cant bring myself to respond. I can't think of any way to describe it.
"Why'd you start speaking with me then?" Wakes asks.
"Because you just caught my eye, alright?! And you've still got that evidence, don't you?! Now, can we focus on the issue at hand?" I try to steer the conversation back to what should be spoken about.
Wales shrugs,
"Sure. What were you going to say?"

"We need to get Britain to break up with Soviet."
We've both been speaking as low as possible. Why did he choose such a quiet café?!
"I completely agree with you. What's the plan?"
I bow my head down, staring at the table cloth. There's not much of a plan in mind... There's no easy way to get the two to break up. Surely Britain's been pressured by his allies, but that's certainly not worked. I doubt the same will work on Soviet... Perhaps we could frame him for something... or reveal the original plan.
"We need to tell Britain about Soviet's original plan... I don't know if he'll believe it—"
"Come to think of it, Britain has been speaking of some socialist views lately. It might be believable." Wales tuts. "But how would we prove it?"
"That's the thing, I'm not sure. It was a spur of the moment, we hadn't discussed it for the most part. There's nothing on paper."
We both sit there, staring at each other for an answer: one which doesn't exist.
"Then we'll put something on paper." Wales suggests.
Fraud? ... It's not far fetched. I can get people to replicate Soviet's handwriting, I have plenty of letters form him to make it easy!

"Good suggestion. I'll have some of my people work on that and then send it to you."
"Should I hand it to NATO perhaps? Instead of directly to Britain."
"They're going to want to know why I'm sending you the letters."
It would awfully suspicious if the rest of the west found out. Wales hums in affirmation,
"True... So why not you give them directly to NATO yourself?"
I clench my teeth together. I don't want to get all buddy buddy with the rest of the west. It'll look like backing down, won't it? Unless I do it in private... eventually, I nod.
"Alright. I'll let you know when it's been written and when I've sent it."
"Sounds like a plan."

This operation will certainly be for the best.

"By the by," Wales begins, "why are you going against Soviet like this? Aren't you two friends?"
"Surely you've heard about what his people are doing to mine," I grumble back. "He won't prevent them from continuing... And there's just so much more to it. I can't be associated with that."
"Quick of you to go against him like that—"
"As if you can say anything about that," I retort back in the moment.
I didn't mean to sound rude or so blatant at all, but his tone suggests he's either joking or being serious... and most the time he's joking, so figured it was only fitting to respond in such a manner. He hums back quietly,
"What do you mean?"
"Well, I know for a fact you'd go against England without second thought."
"Not true! I'd think about how I'd do it first," he laughs.
I end up catching myself laughing.

Even if Wales is from the west, he's definitely alright as a friend.