The Throne Wars - Sah's Arrival (By Aurelia_Borealis)

You're not one to believe in rumors but, there's a saying that where there's smoke, there's bound to be fire.

Istanbul takes your breath away like it did the last time you were here. You've travelled across continents and seas, experienced a variety of terrains and climates, but nothing quite beats the dazzling allure of the Bosphorous – its cerulean blue waters glinting against the sunlight, soothing you every time you lay your eyes on it. For the thousandth time of your life, you take a minute to appreciate the strategic location of the Palace, with all of the residential rooms and large marble terraces overlooking the siren-song sea. Beyond the boats, begin rolls of undulating hills, coated in the green of oakwood trees.

You sigh in contentment.

It struck your curiosity, naturally, as to why you had been summoned back to the capital so suddenly. As far as you knew, the political climate had settled down and the dynasty was enjoying a welcome pause for peace. Then again, your network of spies had never been dense, nor reliable in the capital.

But the meaning of your summoning becomes all too clear as soon as you step out of your carriage. A royal party awaits to welcome you, and by their strained faces you can tell whatever plots or schemes they have been hatching have been none too successful.

You purse your lips. There was a reason you left the capital and never looked back. You don't appreciate being used as a pawn in their petty harem games, especially when you've always had the wits to be the queen.

As your sister comes forward to greet you, taking your hands in hers and kissing them with a none-too-hidden sigh of relief, it all suddenly becomes clear. Behind her, the entourage waits patiently for you to greet them. Several faces are familiar, but one especially stands out.

If you took any stock in rumors, you would expect a gorgon to stand as the King's favourite. And yet, as you had suspected, this woman is beautiful. Her most arresting feature, one might venture to guess, would be her hair. Yet, it is obvious that it is not the bright orange tresses that caught your brother's attention, but t'was the fire in her eyes that matches the flames of her hair.

This, as it has become apparent, is the woman that's tested the patience and resolve of the harem many times over, and has outwitted the family at every turn. This is the reason you have been called to the capital.

The knights, rooks and bishops have conceded defeat and look to you to defend their King.

You've always yearned for a worthy competitor.

Let the games begin.