Kösem vs Safiye (by midasandgold)

Kosem hurries to Ahmed's chambers. She has not seen him since he woke up, and longs to be with him. When she arrives on the balcony, she wastes no time with protocol, and rushes into his arms. Ahmed buries his face into her hair, and she into his neck.

"Oh, how I've missed you Anastasia." He kisses her forehead.

"I am no longer Anastasia, or even Mahpeyker. I've chosen a new name for myself. Kosem." She looks up at him.

"And do you know what Kosem means?" He runs a hand through her hair.

"Bulbul Aga told me. The one who shows the way, the one who walks ahead, the leader."

"Yes, and without fault. Just like your beautiful face." He places another kiss to her forehead. "Validem told me everything that happen while I was sick. How Allah spared you from death."

"Yes, my Hunkar. I thank Allah everyday for sparing you and I." Ahmed takes her face in his hands,

"I will find the one who shot you, and everyone will know not to try to harm you again." He kisses her, and she melts into to him. Ahmed reluctantly pulls away after a few moments. "We will be happy now. No one will try to harm us again. I swear to you." He kisses her hands. And Kosem believes him.

Back in the Harem, Kosem starts to go back to her room, but is stopped by Cennet Kalfa. "Handan Sultan wishes to see you." Cennet looks around before lowering her voice. "Our Hunkar found the man who shot you, and executed him. He also banished his Vizier for trying to find an heir while he lived."

"Our Padishah made the choice he believed is right. Now I wonder what he'll do to the others that betrayed him." She knows Cennet is aware that she speaks of Safiye, and her attempts to flee the palace.

"Only Allah and our Padishah know what he'll do." Cennet gives her a coy smile. Kosem gives her a sly smile in return, before going to Handan's chambers. Hudai Efendi is also there, leaning in his staff.

"It is great to see how Allah saved you." Hudai smiles at her.

"It was through your amulet that he did it, Efendi." Kosem bows her head in acknowledgment.

"May Allah keep you always." Hudai blesses her.

"Amen." Speaks Handan. "I sent for the esteemed Efendi, to tell him of our gratitude."

"There is no need to thank me. Allah showed me what to do. If you need anything else, just send for me." He bows his head to Handan.

"There is something I'd like to ask of you Efendi." Kosem speaks up. "I wish to convert to Islam."

"We shall do that as soon as possible. With your leave Sultanim." He speaks to Handan, bowing once more. Handan nods and smiles, and Kosem curtsies in return.

She converts on the balcony of Ahmed's chambers, with Haci Aga in attendance. She has wrapped a dark turquoise scarf around her head, and repeats Hudai's words, "I bear witness there is only one God, and that Muhmmad is the messenger of God." She kisses Hudai's hand in thanks.

"May you live long." Hudai says, blessing her once more.

"Amen." Haci Aga says. Hudai Efendi nods at them, and leaves the balcony to go see Ahmed. Kosem and Haci leave for the Harem, "I'm sorry for the way I treated you when you arrived." Haci apologies. "You were a gift from Safiye Sultan, and that instantly put us all on guard."

"I understand. You didn't know me, so how could you trust me? You can make up to me by sending no more girls to the Padishah." She says the last part as a joke.

"It doesn't matter what girl he's with, all he cares about is you. No one else has your amount of influence or favour with him. And no one ever will." Haci assures her.

"Then why does he accepts other cariyes into his bed? Especially that Rasha Hatun. She was sent quite often."

"Because he needs an heir, and until he has at least one, there will continue to be concubines visiting his chambers." Haci explains. "And don't speak so ill of her. We found out she was pregnant shortly after we found out the Padishah was sick. We sent her away to Edirne for her safety, but she never made it. Bandits killed her."

"I may not of liked her, but she didn't deserve that. Allah rest her soul." She instinctively goes to cross herself, but stops. She's not a Christian anymore.

"Amen." Haci says as they enter the main hall of the Harem.

"Kosem! Come here!" Cennet Kalfa calls to her. Kosem huffs her way over to her, annoyed at being called that way.

"I am not your servant girl Cennet Kalfa." She corrects her.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. Forgive me Sultanim." Cennet mocks her and bows. Kosem rolls her eyes,

"What do you want?"

"Safiye Sultan wants to see you. Now come."

"What if I don't want to see her?" Kosem retorts.

"Then you must have a death wish. Now come!" Cennet grabs her arm and begins to pull her to Safiye's chambers. Kosem yanks her arm away, but continues to follow her to Safiye's chambers.

When they arrive, Cennet knocks on the door. "Enter!" Safiye calls from the other side of the door.

"Sultanim." Kosem walks to her and curtsies.

"Good Mahpeyker, you're here."

"It's Kosem now, Sultanim." She corrects.

"You've chosen a name for yourself, that's good." Safiye says, disinterested. She sits down, and waves Kosem to come closer. "Handan and Dervish have influenced my beloved Padishah grandson against me so much, that he has decided to exile me."

"Is this a way to treat Safiye Sultan?" Bulbul Aga pipes up. Safiye nods at him and continues.

"My lion grandson didn't even let me speak around him anymore. But there is someone he listens too. And we both know that's you, Kosem."

"What can I do Sultanim?" She asks, feigning concern.

"I brought you here, took you under my wings, did and continue to do, everything for you so you can live in comfort. Right?"

"Yes."

"I set you apart from everyone else, loved you and valued you. Hopefully you value me as well."

"I am in awe of you. Like everyone else." It isn't a lie, she is in awe of the power Safiye has amassed over the years.

"The time has come for you to prove your loyalty and love to me. You will speak to our Hunkar, do what you must. As a woman, use all your talents and get him to go back on his decision to exile me. Do you understand?" Safiye says bluntly.

"Yes, I understand. But there is something you don't understand, Sultanim. I agree like our Hunkar. The time for you to go has come. Your place is in the Palace of Tears." Kosem smiles vindictively.

"Get out!" Safiye yells, and points to the door. Kosem gives her a mocking curtsy and turns on her heals.

Safiye's era is over, now mine will begin.