Mahidevran (My story)

The air hung heavy with the scent of roses as Mahidevran Sultan walked the gardens of Topkapi Palace. Her heart, once as light as the morning dew, felt as heavy as the gilded cage that was her life. She was known as Gülbahar, "Spring Rose," for her beauty, but within the opulent walls, her spring had faded.

Mahidevran had arrived at the palace young, a Circassian girl with eyes the color of the Bosphorus at dawn. She had captured the heart of Suleiman, then a dashing prince. Their love story, whispered through the halls, bloomed with the birth of their son, Mustafa, the heir apparent.

But the winds of change were swift. A fiery redhead named Alexandra, soon to be Hürrem Sultan, entered the palace. With cunning wit and unwavering ambition, Hürrem captivated Suleiman. The Sultan's favor shifted, like the Istanbul sun, leaving Mahidevran in the cold shadows.

Years bled into one another. Mahidevran watched, a silent observer, as Hürrem bore Suleiman more sons. The whispers turned to roars – would Mustafa be sacrificed for Hürrem's children? The tension coiled tight within the harem, a viper poised to strike.

One fateful night, whispers turned to screams. Accusations of treason hung heavy in the air, a web spun by Hürrem's machinations. Mustafa, beloved by the people and the Janissaries, was condemned. Mahidevran's world shattered.

With a stoicism born of despair, Mahidevran watched her son, her future, marched away to his death. Torn from the palace, she found a desolate solace in Bursa, far from the gilded cage and the woman who stole her everything.

Years turned into decades. News from the capital reached her like whispers on the wind – Hürrem's power grew, her sons secured the throne. Mahidevran, the forgotten Sultan, clung to the memory of her son, a bittersweet solace in her exile.

One crisp winter morning, a messenger arrived, bearing news of Hürrem's death. A flicker of something, perhaps vindication, sparked in Mahidevran's eyes. Yet, it was a hollow victory. Her spring had been stolen, and no winter's thaw could bring it back.

Mahidevran closed her eyes, the scent of a single, defiant rose clinging to the winter air. She was a woman who had loved a Sultan, birthed a prince, and witnessed the cruel machinations of power. In the annals of history, she would be a footnote, the shadow of another woman's glory. But within the walls of her own heart, she was Gülbahar, the Spring Rose, forever blooming in the memory of her lost love and her son, the shadow Sultan.