Süleyman, My Love Chapter 2 (by vintagenights)

It had been two year since Suleiman had arrived in his Sanjak, his valide held a strict raign over his small harem as well as any kalfa and aga. Nothing could happen without her knowledge or consent.

She had been the one to choose everyone's chambers. She gave her son the largest as the heir, herself the second largest and Hatice one of the more fancy looking ones, it fit the Sultana's taste after all

she had also sent a young woman to her son a day after arriving, Adélaïde assumed it was since she was already trained but when she never noticed.

A full year didn't even go by before the prince had his first son called Murad. He was the Apple of his father's eyes. His mother Gulfem hatun had been the only woman visiting the prince until she fell pregnant. She still visited him on occasion but her days in his chambers were decreasing each time. Adélaïde felt that one of these days he wouldn't call for her at all. Someone was going to replace her, then the one who replaced Gulfem would be replaced.

The birth of Gulfem's son hurt her at first for unknown reasons, she didn't know why or the feeling she felt whenever she saw Suleiman with another woman. Yet it hurt each time.

But it seemed as if luck was on Gulfem Sultana's side. She had gotten pregnant months before the end of the princes first year in his Sanjak but she gave birth to a girl named fatma. This marked the end of her visit to the prince it seemed as she saw the mother of two often in her own chambers or with Ayse hafsa sultana. The prince seemed to have closed their chapter. What a joy she had felt only to feel disgusted with herself straight away, why would she feel joy in this she thought as she mentally scolded herself.

On the second year of the prince arriving at his Sanjak, another woman named mahidevran hatun had managed to charm him. There was a great tension in the harem after that.

Gulfem although angered by this didn't try to do anything to the new favourite. It wasn't as if mahidevran was disrespectful or trying to tease her. How could she? For Suleiman still held affection towards the mother of his children. To insult her would be an insult towards him.

The new favourite only spent three months in his chambers before falling pregnant. Her pregnancy was difficult it seemed. It was clear that Gulfem sultana was being replaced by this new woman day by day. Even the valide would favour her. Adélaïde couldn't see why, mahidevran was whiny and would cry at a minor inconvenience. It had gotten annoying after a few weeks.

She gave birth to twins, a boy called Mustafa and a girl named raziya. This suprise caused the valide to celebrate for a whole month. Longer than Gulfem's celebration.

The other women noticed this and would cry in her chambers alone. Out of sight of her children. Adélaïde felt for her, it wasn't her business but she had wanted to help in any way she could. So she visited her friend.

This was when Adélaïde realised her deep love for Suleiman. She wanted him but couldn't have him since he would never choose her. She had cried the night she realised. But she was still determined in helping Gulfem, the woman was nothing but kind towards her. Adélaïde felt as if she would hate herself if she didn't at least attempt to help.

Outside his chambers stood Ibrahim who she had known for years, it didn't take long for the young man to warm up towards her and they had become good allies within the harem. Both shearing one similar fact: they were both slaves to the ottoman empire and would remain that way until the sultan decided otherwise.

Adélaïde had sheared her troubles with him as well as her story and in turn he told her his.

She gave him a nod as she entered without asking, since she was always around him, no one cared if she entered. It wasn't like she was a danger towards him or anyone else.

In entering, she saw him with his daughter fatma sultana. She was sat on his lap as he played with her.

" My prince" she said bowing, the prince handed his daughter to a maid and dismissed them. After they left he offered her a seat.

" What is wrong Adélaïde? Did my mother request something"?

Adélaïde laughed and shook her head, he was always stressing as if he would get into trouble.

" No my prince. I have come with a different concern" she said softly.

He asked her to elaborate, his brows pulled together and his smile now gone.

" Suleiman, you know why I'm here! Gulfem sultana has been so sad lately. Why is it that she's been left alone "?

The prince got up and walked away, he did not look happy, without looking at her he responded.

" It's a harem Adélaïde, this is what is expected and what is within tradition. I can't be expected to rule after my father with a woman's tears "

Adélaïde hide her shock with a forced smile, Suleiman had changed since he entered his Sanjak. Not a change she liked but one she had to get used to.

" I apologize if I oversteped. I was just trying to help" she said after a while.

When he turned to face her, he looked more relaxed and then changed the topic to something more pleasant.

She had failed in helping Gulfem she thought bitterly, but she had found an excuse to have Suleiman alone.

Two years turned four and no other children were born unfortunately. Sultan Selim had passed away during this time. Suleiman had become sultan and within the next few days they would go to the capital palace.

Adélaïde had felt as if a new chapter would open for her here, her fate would change and she would be given what she deserved. Suleiman, her sultan.