two

chapter two
(realizing)

Once Doe and James both began attending Hogwarts, they were well aware of the Houses which they were destined to join

"Gryffindor!" The Sorting Hat had announced, causing the youth to beam and search for Doe . Upon spotting her, he smiled and walked over as he joined the Gryffindor table.

James found his doe rather effortlessly and took his seat beside her, the two playfully pretending to make introductions. The charade ended soon thereafter as another addition joined them, taking the empty seat on the other side of James.

Once again, James turned his focus upon the individual who had just arrived and smiled at her.

"Hi, I'm James," he said, reaching out to shake the girl's hand.

The girl returned his smile and introduced herself in kind. "Hi, I'm Lily," she replied, clasping his hand.

Doe and a number of other young students welcomed their newly acquired housemate to the table and subsequently proceeded to get to know one another, although Doe's internal instinct was indicating that something was somehow off.

...

A few months of their first year has passed and that odd feeling came to light. Although James and Doe often hung out, in conjunction with his other closest mates, there was a clear deviation in the course of their relationship when compared to what they had discussed on the train journey to Hogwarts.

James was already finding himself causing mischief with his best mates Sirius Black, Peter Pettigrew and Remus Lupin. Nonetheless, only a dolt would fail to recognise the fact that James and his new friends represented a clique which no one would wish to cross paths with.

Doe, on several occasions, watched the consistent acts of bullying directed at a particular Slytherin, one who was the closest friend of a specific redhead housemate of theirs—Lily Evans, to be exact.

Doe refrained from participating in James's antics of targeted bullying against the Slytherin; unlike her friend, she did become genuine friends with both the Slytherin and Lily. She frequently apologized on James's behalf, though neither of them were willing to accept her apologies and typically insisted that she did not need to feel responsible for her friend's actions.

James was not pleased at all when he found out that the girl he had known for an extended duration as well as the new girl who he was developing an attraction for both shared a bond with the Slytherin.

...

The established cycle of bullying, mischief, and meaningless apologies altered over the course of years, as their generation neared the completion of their second-to-last academic year.

James went from being a renowned jerk and aggressor to, eventually, figuring out the correct approach to befriending Lily Evans while also appropriately expressing his affections minus the need to participate in the bullying of her former Slytherin acquaintance.

Lily, who had chosen to terminate their friendship upon hearing Severus refer to her as a filthy mudblood—though that did not conclude there, as his harsh statements also expanded to Doe when she intervened in an attempt to make James stop. The repercussions proved to be substantially different with respect to Lily, although she indeed tolerated it as the final straw for their friendship.

Even though Doe had discontinued her attempts to engage with Severus despite her unwillingness to completely end their friendship, she did not harbour the same level of disdain as it had been for Lily, yet she nevertheless made the decision to follow the pathway toward distancing herself to the same degree that Lily had originally chosen to do.

Thus ending their friendship with the Slytherin in their fifth year.

...

Lily and Doe gradually grew significantly friendlier of each other during their sixth school year, establishing a much stronger foundation for their bond than ever before in the face of Severus' absence as their friend.

It was at this moment that Doe finally recognised the unsettling feeling that she had harboured for quite some time when James and Lily became genuine friends this year.

She was indeed jealous, yet, thanks to her support system in the form of Sirius, Doe never permitted her jealousy to impair her relationship with either of her friends.

...

The bond between Sirius and Doe proved to be mutually advantageous, and it was the primary force that aided them in emerging from their own anguish. The two were indubitably powerful enough to appreciate that their relationship would not progress beyond what it was at this point.