fifteen

chapter fifteen
(he saved her)

On a single event, in the time whilst multiple seventh years were cramming for their NEWTs, Doe discovered herself alone in the library along with Peter

James as well as Sirius were at the quidditch pitch practising for the approaching quidditch cup that was only a few days away.

Remus along with several others went to watch—still, a couple days before, when they were all assembled studying, Doe witnessed how Peter was struggling in Herbology and seeing like that was her strongest subject—she took it upon herself to teach the male.

In the beginning, Peter initially refused, not wanting to waste her time—yet still, Doe pressed onward, but not without scolding him first that he was her friend, and it wasn't a waste of time at all.

After several hours, Doe was walking around the library and searching for additional study materials, and Peter who was following behind suddenly spoke up, "Hey Doe, may I ask you something?"

Doe continued walking, despite the fact that she was aware that Peter's footsteps could still be heard, and responded kindly to him with a simple, "Sure. Anything."

Peter came to a halt after Doe stopped at one of the shelves and watched her reach for a book, before turning his attention back to her and smiling. He continued speaking, expressing, "That day when all of us were shouting about what we wanted to do after the war, you remained convinced that everything would be alright so long as we all believed in it." He then drifted to a halt and sighed, "How are you so confident?"

Doe took the time to tilt her head and close her eyes for a few moments before she went on speaking, "To be completely candid with you, Pete, I'm confident, but I'm also not." She opened her eyes once again and wore a pained smile on her face, adding, "The wartime...can produce terrible circumstances for all involved, irrespective of whether or not they choose to survive and fight...along with whether they decide to sacrifice themselves for their own safety or for the preservation of their relatives." She ran her hand along the book's spine.

"Some people do possess a choice, while some do not," she went on still running her hand along the book's spine again. "Some do precisely what they love and choose to do, regardless of whether or not it is morally appropriate. Others have no option but to do what they are doing because of their prior experiences or because they believe it is correct. In actuality...regardless of the choices we make or avoid making, it still varies based on every person's individual situation."

She then went over to the male and placed a hand on his shoulder. Doe fell silent for a brief bit before speaking again, expressing, "Although I may have not been as close to you and all the others, I wish to have a future with all of you—not simply because you are all friends with James—but I truly want us all to survive this war and live the life we have all envisioned."

Doe had no way to tell whether the response she had given to Peter's question was reassuring enough for him. She simply hoped that he would be satisfied. Back on the day when all of them shouted from the astronomy tower, when it was Peter's turn to speak—doe witnessed the fiery nature within his speech, the strength and bravery emitted strongly from his determination.

She noticed how strongly he spoke those words about his future, a future that had undoubtedly grown less certain because of the ongoing conflict. Yet still, he displayed no signs of fear, but his resolute faith in himself, in the others, and in a brighter tomorrow was truly admirable.

Doe wished that she had done a good job of reassuring Peter, but she had no idea if she had.

The night when she learned about Remus' secret, Doe never forgot the way Peter did his best to protect her. His voice when he kept shouting for Remus was the one that kept her fighting to survive. It may have not seen as much, but to Doe—it was the reason she survived. Peter may not have thought he did much, but for her, he saved her.