eleven

chapter eleven
(Head Boy and Head Girl)

As the summer came to an end, it did so quite suddenly

As the summer came to an end, it did so quite suddenly. James, Doe, and their friends took advantage of their vacation — their final one — to live it up like never before. In fact, they lived it like it was their last, and after their final year, it was as though the protection of Hogwarts finally faded away.

James and Doe sat, speechless and shocked as they read the letters that arrived just the day before they had to return to Hogwarts. Nothing about this felt real to either of them, as though it was all some sort of twisted nightmare. Neither could quite believe their luck at the time, but now... well, the reality was sinking in quickly.

James leaned back into the comfortable couch, sighing as he lowered the letter in his hands. Doe brought it closer to her face, looking it over carefully, as if expecting the words to just disappear and be replaced with something else. But no, the letter was real, it was still there, and she was still staring at it.

"There must be a mistake, right?" James said with a forced laugh, pushing the idea away. "They know where Lily and Remus live— they must."

Doe narrowed her eyes, studying the words on her paper carefully even as she compared it so closely to James's. She let out a heavy sigh, her heart pounding out of her chest as she thought over it all,"I want to say it's a mistake," she said shakily. " I hate to say it, but unless Remus and Lily suddenly turned into James Potter and Doe Evergreen, then I am pretty sure it's not...Merlin—it's not true right?"

James let out an audible sigh of annoyance and threw himself upon the couch as a way to express his frustration with the current situation. In addition, he made a few obscene remarks, presumably about the situation," Not exactly taking it easy this year..."

"I am inclined to agree." Doe stated in agreement. Her subsequent actions were of a romantic nature: she laid herself upon James, bringing herself to lay directly on top of him. This was seemingly done in an effort to comfort James or perhaps just to simply cuddle up against him.

James reacted to the touch with a laugh, playfully pinching her cheeks. He expressed a bit of humor in assuming that Dumbledore may have caught them together during their night of intimacy. The fact that it felt like a probable idea, however, was a peculiar detail.

Doe made a face and gently pushed away James's hands as he had begun to playfully squeeze her cheeks once more. She proposed the idea that this could possibly be Dumbledore's way of punishing them. While she stated the idea as a joke, it held a certain plausibility.

The two made prolonged eye contact, followed by laughter. There seemed to be an underlying atmosphere of levity to the interaction, indicating a playful tone.