Fleeting Scarlet

"Hi! I'm Ṟ̴̺̖̣̑̇̚͝ͅĭ̵͔̻̬̠̭̆ṫ̵̡̼͖͖͘͜s̶̫͕̊̑̆̏̇u̶̺̍̈́̽̌͜k̷̻͈̱̪̇͋ạ̴̻̪̃ ̸̦̊̍͆̃̒ͅÄ̶͇̱́̔̍k̵̢͍̤͎͕̍̅â̸͙̻̮̞̓̎ǧ̸̹̟̠̱ą̴̠͍̍̽̂͋ẉ̵̇̅̕a̵̖͑! Your dad and my dad are gonna be working together! I hope we can be friends!"

He still wasn't strong enough to use his weapon. He still wasn't strong enough for his familiar to stand a chance. He still wasn't strong enough to do anything. He still wasn't strong enough to save anyone...

"So, when you're big enough, it'll be your turn to use it?! I can't wait to see that!"

The roaring red and orange flames raged through the burning building, drowning out the desperate screams of those it consumed. One by one, they were eternally silenced. Those poor souls. Those poor, familiar souls.

"Your dad is the best! I love when he lets me join in with your training!"

Clawing and grasping at anything he could reach, the young boy desperately tried to free himself from the ever-cascading assault of rubble that overtook his once beautiful home.

"Thanks for sticking up for me again! Those jerks at school are always making fun of my eyes! It's so lame!"

He coughed and hacked violently, his hands gripping his throat as he tried to take any air he could into his body, desperately trying to empty the soot and ash that threatened to fill his lungs.

"When I grow up, I'm gonna go with you! And we can become exorcists together!"

The men circled around him, like predators taunting their prey before the kill. The looks on their faces. They were enjoying it. It was as if he was worth nothing more than the dirt beneath their boots. He could hear them snickering amongst themselves as they listened to his heartbroken sobs.

"I'll stay with you..."

As he held the weapon tight to his chest, his knuckles whitened from the intense grip he held on the metal barrel. With a roll of their eyes and a groan from their throats, they stepped aside, letting him approach him.

"Always."

He gazed up, desperately reaching to the figure standing over him. Desperately pleading for him to stop. For him to help. Those scarlet eyes... looking down at him in utter ambivalence. As if he was no more than a worthless insect beneath him.

"Rit... suka..."

As his vision faded, the knife in the boy's hands was raised. As he gazed into those beautiful scarlet eyes one last time, his heart finally shattered. Closing his eyes, he braced for the final impact, letting the world finally fade to black.

"Why...?"