Drunken Musings

[Y/n] sighed as he and the other boys arrived at the field office, each carrying large portions of food for the exorcists on duty. Suguro's mother had asked them to deliver the food that she and the others had made for them while the boys had been doing repair work around the inn. The whole task led to an insufferably uncomfortable walk with three boys who were refusing to even acknowledge Rin in the slightest; two out of fear, and one out of anger. Not to mention how [Y/n] had to try and cheer up Rin when Shiemi refused to even look at him in the kitchen. 

After everything that had happened on the bus, his talk with Rin, his questions for Suguro's father and now all of this, it was safe to say, [Y/n] was at his limit for the day.

"We brought you dinner from the inn." Shima announced as they set the food down on the table Shura was sitting at.

"Thanks a lot, guys. What do you say you all call it a night and get some rest?" She offered, looking from the boys to the window as she realised that it had already gotten dark.

"Yeah! Quittin' time!" Shima cheered triumphantly, causing [Y/n] to roll his eyes. Shima did the least work out of all of them all day. And Miwa had one arm that didn't even work.

"Ma'am?" Suguro spoke up, stopping Shura in her tracks as she was taking her chopsticks out to dig in. "Would it be okay if I took off for a little while?" He asked, staring down at the woman in front of him with an expression that [Y/n] just couldn't place.

"Where to?" Shura asked curiously, sceptical of what Suguro was up to.

"Rakuhoku, Kongou Shinan." He answered, causing Shura to stare at him in bewilderment as she pulled her chopsticks apart.

"The mountains? What the hell for?" She shot back, immediately getting suspicious of what the hell Suguro was up to. After a brief pause, Suguro nervously sucked in a stray breath.

"To see my dad..." He answered somberly and [Y/n] and Rin immediately shared a look. That explained his disposition the whole walk over. Both of them could understand where he was coming from, they really could. After how they had met him and his overall demeanour, they didn't exactly blame Suguro for having a strained opinion of his father. But still, he wasn't nearly as bad as all of the exorcists had made him out to be. And Suguro had to be smart enough to know that there was no way Shura was going to sign off on that, especially this late at night.

"Sorry, I'm responsible for you and there's no way I'm letting you go to the mountains after dark." Shura replied, narrowing her eyes and shaking her head. There were just way too many red flags with that request for her to sign off on it. "Besides, we're here on a mission, that comes first." She added, turning back to the table before reaching to grab a white plastic bag and holding it up for Suguro to take. "Here, how about some juice to go with your dinners?" She offered, gesturing toward the bentos that had been prepared for the boys. Rin instantly perked up at the thought.

"Yeah! Dinner time!" He cheered, making grabby hands toward the food while Kuro beamed excitedly atop his head and Flor happily tapped the ground. [Y/n], however, sweatdropped at the offer, knowing his 'cousin' all too well.

"Is this juice or 'juice'?" He retorted, emphasising the word the second time as he side-eyed the bag in her hand. Shura simply waved him off and rolled her eyes.

"You already know." She replied casually and [Y/n] felt an irk mark appear on his forehead.

"'Responsible' my ass." He groaned, grimacing at the sight of the woman's cocky shit-eating grin.

"I'm not hungry, ma'am, I think I'll go to bed." Suguro spoke up, pulling the two from their chatter as they turned just in time to see Suguro giving Shura a small bow before turning on his heel and leaving. Shura didn't even have a chance to reply before he was already out the door, with Miwa and Shima hot on his heels. Just as they left the room, Rin let out an annoyed growl, gaining both Shura's and [Y/n]'s attention.