Sea Black as Ink

[Y/n], Rin, Kamiki and Shima had been sent off to the beach under the impression that they were going to be exorcising some problematic demons. They were ecstatic. Their first mission as Exwires! However, what had seemed like a great mission involving the beach, swimming and demon hunting had rapidly become a tedious retail work that involved grilling and selling squid in front of a snack bar. And that's how [Y/n] found himself in shorts, a t-shirt and sandals, sitting on Sema's case with his chin in his hands, occasionally glancing down at his exposed scars self-consciously. Shima sulked as he sat on the ground beside him and Rin happily grilled some skewered squid.

"Man, this sucks." Shima complained, letting out a groan as he threw his head back, looking around at the other beachgoers, who were all enjoying themselves. "Go figure we'd get stuck flipping squids at the shop all day. And with all these voluptuous babes around..." He complained, looking down at the sand in defeat. [Y/n] rolled his eyes at Shima's complaining.

"I know, it's so sad that you can't get rejected on the beach like you do at school." [Y/n] replied sarcastically, causing Shima to whip his head toward him as he scoffed in offence.

"That was uncalled for."

"Step on up folks! We're gonna rock your stomachs!" Rin called out, holding up two of his freshly grilled squid as he tried to attract some customers. "Our grilled squid is so awesome, it melts in your mouth! You won't mind selling your soul for a taste!" Rin exclaimed, his grin slowly falling as everyone around them blatantly ignored his little sales pitch.

"In the face of tragedy, you're being a good sport." Shima commented, looking up at Rin with dead eyes. Rin raised a confused eyebrow before shrugging.

"Oh well, I don't mind doing stuff like this." Rin replied casually, turning his attention back to the food. [Y/n] chuckled as he looked at his friend's excited face. They had talked out everything after the situation with Neuhaus - the powers, Rin's sword, Father Fujimoto, everything. Safe to say, their relationship was pretty much completely back to normal. The only real change was that Rin didn't hide his tail anymore when he asked around the dorms. He even introduced [Y/n] to his familiar, Kuro. Things were going pretty well.

"I couldn't care less as long as I get to eat more of your cooking." [Y/n] announced, reading forward to grab one of the squids, only to have Rin slap his hand away.

"Those are for the customers." Rin replied, giving [Y/n] a warning look while [Y/n] just rolled his eyes, featuring around them.

"What customers?" He asked, remaining Rin that no one had been bothered to look at their squid in the four hours that they had been selling for.

"I don't get what we're going wrong. The squid looks damn good!" Rin announced, looking down at all his hard work sadly. [Y/n] gave him a sympathetic smile until Kuro suddenly jumped up onto the table and then onto Rin's shoulder, his eyes lighting up as he stared at the squid. "Sorry pal, they're for sale." Rin said sternly, leaving [Y/n] to assume that Kuro had asked for some too. [Y/n] gave the little guy a scratch under the chin, which he graciously accepted.

"Hey, is that him?" Shima asked, finally getting to his feet. [Y/n] and Rin turned to see him pointing at Kuro with a curious look in his eyes. "That's your new familiar, the Cat Sídhe, isn't it?" He asked and Rin nodded in confirmation.

"Yeah, I figured I'd bring him 'cause they said it was a mission."

"Mission my ass!" Shima snapped, throwing his hands up in the air as he gestured around them. "They say we're here to collect seaweed for demon-warding potions! Bull! They've got us working retail!" He screamed, throwing his head back in utter exasperation. [Y/n] let out a defeated sigh, fully agreeing with Shima. Some 'mission' this was...