2

narrative, messages & Instagram

Iris's pov

I stare at the message on my screen.

860-555-1735:

Hey! This is Paige, Caitlin gave me your number.

I shouldn't read into this right? She's just texting me.

But she asked Caitlin for my number. Caitlin wouldn't just give it to her out of nowhere.

What if she's just trying to be friendly?

Iris:

hey! it was nice meeting you.

"IT WAS NICE TO MEET YOU????" I scream out loud. I hear footsteps running toward my room. Claire busts through the door.

"WHAT'S GOING ON??" She asks. She stares at my panicked face, confused.

"Um-" I pause, "How do I start this?" I ask myself

"How about with words?" Claire says.

I give her a look before ranting, "Ok. So I went to the game tonight and after the game I met up with Caitlin and turns out that Caitlin is friends with Paige and then I slightly fell in love and she gave me a look that about made me have a heart attack and I slightly wanted to rent a U-Haul then and there and then apparently she asked Caitlin for my number and texted me and then I said 'It was nice to meet you'." I say all of this in one breath.

"One, I told you that you would like Paige," She smiles, "Two, SHE TEXTED YOU?!" She yells, "Three, if she asked Caitlin for your number, she clearly likes you too."

"We don't know that," I say. She tilts her head.

"Yes the fuck we do," she pauses, "Why else would she have asked for your number?"  She asks.

"She could've just thought that I was cool and wanted to be friends or something," I reply.

"Bull. Shit." She says, "She is one of the best basketball players in the country. I'm assuming she has enough friends."

"I mean, what if she just wanted to be friends with Caitlin's sister?" I ask.

"Shut the fuck up and accept the fact that you are capable of being loved." She says. "Now text that bitch back," She pauses, "I heard your phone buzz a few minutes ago, but I didn't want to interrupt your ranting."

I quickly reach for my phone and look at the message on my screen,

860-555-1735:

wyd?

"She asked what I'm doing," I tell Claire.

"Say 'being gay for you' with a winky face" Claire laughs.

"Claire! I'm being serious! What do I say?" I yell.

"Just saying 'chilling, hbu?'" She says.

"Isn't that a bit dry?" I ask.

"Either you lie, and say that you're chilling." she pauses, "Or you tell the truth, and confess your love for her. Which one sounds better?" I don't even answer her and pick my phone back up.