7

narrative

iris pov

Today is my first day as an intern. I got the call yesterday and decided that I was going to surprise Paige later at practice.

I go to two practices a week and monitor the players. On the other days, I sit with the actual sports psychologists and watch what they do with the players. After a week I will start working with the players as well.

Today is a day that I go practice, but I'm going to meet the psychologists first. 

I start to make my way towards the office that they work in when I am stopped. 

"Hey!" A girl says to me, "You must be Iris!"

"Uh- yeah, this is me," I say

"I'm Lillian, I'm one of the sports psychologists for the team." She says.

"Ohhhh," I pause, "Sorry about my attitude. People stop me a lot and ask about my sister."

"No, it's fine. That's very understandable," She reassures. "Follow me, I'll introduce you to Alice." 

She begins walking away before I can answer. I follow her down a long hallway until we make it to a room covered in decorations. There are various flags on the walls, pride, BLM, and many different countries. It's very clear that they want people to feel comfortable. 

"Alice, this is Iris!" I notice that Lillian is quite peppy. She could tell a person that they have two days left to live but still say it like she just got a new puppy.

"Lill, it's seven in the morning," She says tiredly. "It's very nice to meet you, Iris. Lill is a big morning person and enjoys being happy about literally everything." I laugh, "But I still love her, even if it's annoying." 

"Hey!" She yells at Alice.

"See, even her mad voice sounds happy," Alice laughs. Lillian smacks Alice in the arm lightly before sitting down.

"You two are so cute," I say, smiling.

"Oh, no no no," Lillian freaks out, "we're not- we- I'm straight."