40

narrative

Paige pov

"a six foot guard, from Edina, Minnesota, Paige Bueckers!" the announcer yells.

we're about to play South Carolina. you don't even understand how bad I want to beat them. it's my last year and I just need this win.

we make it to the second half and the score is 56-49, South Carolina. geno yelled at us in the locker room, so we're ready to kick ass.

I dribble the ball up the court and pass it to Azzi. I cut to the basket and make my way back out, behind the three point line. azzi passed the ball to KK, who makes a quick pass to me. I dribble and take a step back for a step back three. the ball swishes in. the score is now 64-66, us. it's our first lead of the game.

dawn staley calls a time out for her team so I run over to our bench. I sit down on a small chair and chug water. I look up to see Iris staring at me.

she smiles when our gazes meet. she raises her eyebrows once, and I jokingly wipe my forehead, showing how sweating I am. her eyes widen.

"Paige?" geno yells.

"sorry coach."

"god," he sighs.

we finish the third quarter with a score of 72-69, South Carolina.

we start with possession of the ball, and Ice passes it into me. I dribble the ball up the court and shoot a long three to tie the game.

"LETS GOOOO!!" our bench screams.

"a three point shot for Paige Bueckers!" the announcer yells. the crowd screams.

KK makes an easy layup with 34 seconds left. Chloe Kitts dribbles the ball up the court and runs out the clock. we are currently up, 81-80.

the clock reaches 9 seconds and Chloe quickly pulls up to shoot a long three. the ball swishes in. I look over at geno because we don't have anymore timeouts.

I snatch the ball and dribble twice before launching the it up the court. the buzzer sounds and I watch the ball float through the air.

i close my eyes. I can't watch.

Iris pov

the crowd goes silent as Paige's shot moves towards the basket.

I hear the ball swish into the net and jump up.

Paige suddenly looks up and starting jumping around and running. before even talking to her team, she looks around for me. I am already running onto the court.

I reach her. she pulls me in for a hug.

"you did it!" I yell.

"I did!" she smiles.

I look at her in the eyes for a long ten seconds before strongly going in for a kiss.

I hear cheers and screams around us, but I don't care.

I move my lips against hers passionately. her kissing my top and mine kissing her bottom.

we pull back, remembering that we have 17,000 people watching us. in person at least.

I press my forehead against hers and smile. I hear cameras snapping around us.

"I love you so much," she whispers in my ear.

"I love you too." I smile.

"I'll be right back," she says.

she turns around to high five the other team before running right back over to me. she picks me up and spins me around.