chapter 3 (edited)

He loosed a low growl threatening the new wolves and I could see the grey and white wolf also raise his head in an alpha-like move. It was highly unlikely that there was one wolf pack in the area let alone two. Unless the facts were wrong? No, they were the most recent available. These packs had to be traveling through. I knew wolves moved over vast territories and with urbanization they might have been displaced and traveling north towards new territories. I stepped back towards the sooty wolf as the grey wolf let loose a snarl baring his teeth as he lowered his head in a fighting stance. My motion drew his attention to me and I swore I almost saw surprise flash through his eyes. But surprise was a human emotion not, an animal one. He loosed a larger snarl that had me stumbling back. Once the momentum started my fear pushed me to keep going. I knew better than to run but I was definitely getting away from that fast. Turning away I moved to a safer distance before turning back to see my wolf leap at the other alpha and a brawl started with the other two wolves circling the black one. I gasped almost turning back but continued, running once I got far enough away that their growls were a distant sound. I continued running until I reached the edge of town. Then I slowed down breathing hard before walking towards the busiest part of town and heading towards my house. I found myself looking over my shoulder even though I knew that wolves wouldn't chase me into a crowded town. Once I made it to my house I went inside and locked the door.

"Robbie?" I called out pulling out my cell phone. I opened the screen to see multiple missed calls from my brother. The last one was hours ago. I swiped the icon calling him back while looking out the window towards the street. I listened to it ring before his familiar voicemail message came up.

"Hey, this is Robert, sorry I missed your call leave a message and I'll get back to you." I sighed and left a brief message.

"Hey, Robbie, I just saw you'd called and I'm letting you know I'm home now, anyway call me or whatever." I hung up the phone and went upstairs changing out of my dirty clothes. I put on a pair of skinny jeans and a white tank top covering that with a loose white blouse. After that, I paced watching my phone for his number.

"This is stupid." I picked up the latest novel I'd been reading and opened it sitting on my bed. I read and re-read the same passage about five times before I stopped and set the book down. Opening my laptop on my desk I pulled up an internet tab and put timbre wolf packs into the search engine. Once the results came up I was so absorbed in the research that I lost track of time.

The sound of the door slamming shut had me jumping. I grabbed my cell and the heaviest thing I could find and carry in one hand. Moving silently I heard the person coming upstairs. I moved closer to the door screaming when it was forced open, I raised the small hand mirror above my head only to recognize Robert as he barged in. "Jesus, Robert, you scared me." I berated him setting the mirror back on the dresser top and sliding my phone into my pocket.

"Where the fuck have you been?" He demanded.

"I called you," I answered.

"Yeah," he snorted. "And you left the most vague message in the history of vague messages." I rolled my eyes turning back to face him. He looked tired and worn down, dark bags rimmed the underside of his blue-green eyes that closely matched my green-blue-grey eyes.

"I told you last night I was going out. I was just out a little longer than expected."

"I didn't hear you say that you were going out last night?"

"Dammit, Robbie! You weren't even here were you?" He had the decency to look semi-ashamed. "You need to stop working so many shifts at your jobs, I can pick up the slack at the diner."

"No, you can't work more you have school." He shook his head, the brown hair that was similar to mine falling in his face as he did so.

"It's fine, I can take some courses online and start working more, I'm a big girl I should help you out with some more bills and things."