Chapter 18 (edited)

After sitting in the silent room and waiting for someone to come through that door, or something to happen I began to lose trust. Greyson had said he'd be back but not when. Granted I'd expected a show of faith by now, but I was also unaware of the time or how long I'd been in this room. Hunger was edging into my system along with thirst. I ignored them in the interest of watching the door for people. After the first few minutes, I'd already decided that this room was a haven from whatever was happening outside that door. This place if I could stay here as much as possible I might survive this.

Troy? If you can hear me please come save me.

Every thought I sent down the link went unanswered and that broke me emotionally. Greyson had said that Troy was scouring the countryside for me but what if he lied and they had killed him, those wolves. I wasn't sure who I could trust but no one here would easily be on my trustworthy list. There was nothing to do but stare at the door and will it to open. This room was dim, with one high set window so small that only the smallest sliver of light could get through. If it wasn't for my heightened wolf vision I would be limited to relative darkness. Even with wolf vision, I was relegated to imperative silence where the static in the room made noise. It was a constant ringing in my ears in a pure pitch. After a while, it began to drive me insane to the point I was trying to pinpoint the noise so I could make it stop which was insane because there was no source. My foot tapped impatiently on the floor it had to have been a couple of hours since I was locked in here. Standing I paced the floor of the cell chewing the inside of my bottom lip I walked over to the door and tried the knob. It turned. Surprised I jumped and stared at it like it was a trap. It was. It had to be. I walked away from the door and stared at it like I would a venomous snake. There was no other explanation for the door to turn and not be locked. I was supposed to be locked in. Unless... he wanted me to stay here. Was this part of his game? Was this him breaking me? No this was an over-analysis of a simpleminded bastard's plan. So I sat on the edge of the bed and stared at the door deciding what to do with this knowledge. Standing I took a hesitant step towards the door followed by another. Just as my hand reached for the doorknob it turned and I backed away hastily retrieving my hand. I waited as the person appeared holding food in their hand. Greyson.

"You came back." I came out of my shock to add. "I'm shocked, I was beginning to think you'd forgotten I existed."

"I may forget a lot of things but I wouldn't forget you existed." He sassed and I narrowed my eyes. Slowly he handed over the food and I took it eagerly biting into the sandwich.

"What now?" I asked through a bite of sandwich.

"You know it's not polite to talk with a mouth full of food, nor is it ladylike."

"I think we passed being concerned about how ladylike I am when you kidnapped me," I answered swallowing the bite of food. "Plus I'm starving and I don't even know how long I've been in this room."

"About a day roughly." He stated as though telling me the color of grass.

"What?" I spluttered. "You left me here for a day? When you said you'd come back I assumed you meant in the neighborhood of a couple hours."

"I had other things to put in place, and you should be grateful that I came back at all given that I'm risking exposing myself right now." I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks, I guess." I held up the sandwich. "What am I supposed to do?"

"We've already been over this. You need to stay put and behave-"

"I'm going to stop you right there," I held up a hand. "I can't do that."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't want to. Plus I already have half an escape planned." His eyes sparked with panic.