Chapter 25 (edited)

~ Rosabelle ~

Part of me felt awful for sneaking out like this in the middle of the night. But if I was going to learn to fight it meant that he would want me to shift. I needed to know what happened when I did. I crept down the stairs and out the back door with minimal noise. Out in the yard, I shivered with cold and nerves. Looking around I waited in the absolute silence until I couldn't any more or my imagination was going to get the best of me. Quickly I stripped to my undergarments and set my clothes on the porch step.

"Okay I can do this," I muttered rubbing my arms and closing my eyes. I concentrated really hard on the image of my wolf. I frowned and opened one eye. Nothing. I was still a human. "Okay, help me out here wolf," I muttered closing my eyes again. I could feel her energy pick up slowly. "Come on," I urged. She whined projecting images of her hesitancy to me. "It's not a joke, I actually want you to come out." She let her presence come forward in my brain and I scrunched my face focusing on her image. When I opened my eyes again I was a wolf. Thank you, god. My wolf yipped excitedly. let's go. I urged her and she took off running. The scents and stretching muscles were pleasant. I forgot everything as we moved over the uneven forest floor with ease. My ears flicked as a sound of twigs snapping sounded to my right. I slowed and listened while my heart rate picked up and fear filtered through my body. When the sound repeated again I froze. What if they came back? I didn't know how to fight? Why did I come out here all alone? Oh god! What was Troy going to think if I never returned? What was the last thing I said to him? My wolf snarled silencing my fears. I breathed deeply scenting the air: bunny. It was a bunny. Oh god. I couldn't do this I was terrified of a bunny and I was part wolf. I could not be a wolf in front of anyone ever again.

************

"I regret this," I huffed flopping on the ground while wiping sweat off of my brow. Troy stood over me panting and pulling off the boxing hand pads he was wearing.

"We don't have to-"

"I am doing this." I raised my left arm groaning at the pain and pointing my index finger at him. "I need to do this." I sat up holding out my hands for him to help me up.

"Okay," He pulled me up. "But you don't have to." Rolling my eyes I stretched my back putting my hands in my lower back and leaning back on them.

"What's next?" I asked raising my arms above my head and stretching out the muscles.

"Well..." He hesitated and I became interested. "I think that it would be beneficial to learn to fight as a wolf." I dropped my gaze.

"Oh. I thought that we would only go over how to fight as humans today," I answered. I didn't want him to see what being a wolf did to me. It was embarrassing. "I don't think I'm ready for the rest yet."

"Wasn't the whole point to train so you could defend yourself no matter what?" I didn't like where he was going with this.

"Yes, but not today." I turned away. "I think that I know more than enough for now." I started to walk back to the house. He stopped me with a hand on my arm.

"As your trainer, I have to say that you haven't even started training." I opened my mouth to protest. "And as your mate, I have to say that you're avoiding this for some reason. The question is why?" I turned my face away.

"I'm not avoiding it, I just don't think it needs to happen today." I crossed my arms over my chest and cocked my hip. "I think we're done I need to go let Balto out before I go into the school to talk about online classes." I pushed up on my toes and pressed a quick kiss on his lips before I left.

Back in the house I let Balto out of his crate and walked to the front door with him. He turned and looked at me as I let him onto the grass. "Why are you looking at me like that? I'm not avoiding it. I just don't .... feel like it." I paused thinking about it. "I just don't want him to see me like that. I mean come on, I went out last night... you know you saw me leave. Anyway, I was terrified of a bunny. A bunny." I nodded at him as he cocked his head like he was listening to what I wanted to say. "I can turn into a wolf and I'm terrified of bunnies." Balto's head dropped and he sniffed the ground while I sat down on the front step. Once he was done I brought him back into the house and jogged up the stairs heading for the ensuite bathroom.