Chapter 21 (edited)

The next morning I woke up and I was cocooned in his arms again. Which made it that much harder to extricate myself from his arms and his life.

"Good morning." He pressed a kiss against my neck. I shied away from him as his lips got close to my torn up mark. "What... what did they do to it?" I swallowed heavily and closed my eyes in pain. He had to know. He deserved to know so he could leave. He had to know so that he could leave without any guilt.

He cut it with a knife. I let the images flit through my mind so that he could see snippets of what had happened. This conversation hurt more than what I remember of that. It was the beginning of the end.

"Baby, it's just me can you speak for me?" His voice broke and so did my heart. I turned my face away from him and pressed it into the pillow. I can't do it. I can't get his hopes up and mine. He's going to leave at some point and I need to be prepared. He's going to leave. It's only fair because I'm broken. I can't even take care of myself, I'm useless.

I can't.

"You know that you can. I can help you." He touched my face with his hand and I flinched away.

You should probably go.

"I'm not leaving. And you will speak to me again one day." I continued to ignore him looking out the window. "Please speak to me again. I need to hear your voice." The whispered words weren't really meant for me. He thought I was asleep, they were a silent plea to my subconscious. But I responded anyway because it hurt me that he was hurting. I turned so that I was facing him and looked into his eyes. I watched him and if I was going to now would be the time to have a break through with the talking. But I didn't speak instead I pressed my face against his chest placing a kiss against it. His hands came up and pressed against the back of my head holding me tight to him like I would flit away at a moment's notice. I laid there and sighed a bone-weary sigh blowing hot breath against his cloth clad chest. "I was so scared." His chest rumbled against my ear and I let my eyes close as I listened to him. "I was so scared when they took you away. I didn't care if I died right then." I pulled back and looked at him. "There were four of them around me and I could only watch as you were dragged away right in front of me and I couldn't stop it." I pictured it through his eyes, that day. My hand came up and traced over his cheek. "I didn't care about anything except getting you back, I had to have you."

"I'm... sorry." My voice was hollow so weak it was barely there. I wasn't even sure if he heard it until he moved sitting up.

"You spoke." He paused as if he wasn't sure. "You spoke right?" Wildly he touched my face waiting.

"Yeah," I nodded pressing into his hand. He laughed a little loudly and a little wildly. I became concerned and sat up wincing at the many stitches on my shoulder and my stomach.

You're scaring me. You need to calm down.

"You talked," He whispered pulling me close. I nodded leaning into his touch. "But you're not talking now." He calmed down some now looking at me suspiciously.

"It hurts... dry, scratchy." He nodded and jumped up pressing the call button. I sent him a weak whimper in protest. When he came back a tired looking nurse appeared.

"You rang?" I looked at her and then at Troy waiting for him to state what he wanted. He looked at me and then to her.

"We need some water or ice chips in here for her throat."

"Sure right away." The nurse looked between both of us and then left. I leaned back against the bed tired and he curled around me again.

"You should be proud I worked together with your brother for a whole two months." I smiled weakly and he chuckled. His hand stroked my hair softly as I rested a cheek on his chest. The nurse returned to the room and handed over a cup of ice chips. Troy took it and I nodded in thanks as she started to leave the room. I took the cup from him and popped one in my mouth running a hand over the rim of the cup. I contemplated what I needed to know from him next. Greyson. He wasn't there I didn't see him. Oh god, what if I got him killed because he was helping me? Maybe that's why I didn't see him? I closed my eyes and methodically ran my finger over the cup in a way that calmed me down. I'm sure he was fine there was nothing else I could do for him right now. Or ever if he was dead. The tears started forming behind my eyelids again.