Chapter 10 (edited)

I didn't turn around as the truck started and I heard it pull out of the driveway. The door opening pulled my attention back to the current situation. Troy walked out alone thank god.

"I'm sorry that you all had to hear that." I apologized watching him close the door behind him.

"You're not the only family with sibling rivalry."

"But I think I'm the only one with a family in which there are only two of us left and he still didn't think to tell me about something so huge it's going to affect me for the rest of my life." He held open his arms and I walked into them pushing my face into his chest. He held me close to him and I hid away from the world in their safety for a little while. Finally, he pushed me back but still kept me within arms length. I pinched the bridge of my nose and sighed. "Well, I guess we should go back in, although I wouldn't blame them for not wanting anything to do with me after that." I gestured to the place where my brother's truck had been parked.

"Actually I told them that you might want to do this some other day, so we are going to my house."

"Oh," I wondered if he didn't want me to meet his family having finally understood how messed up mine was. "Yeah, that's great. I think it would be better if maybe I saw them some other time." I pulled away from him fully and avoided his eyes. "So... how do we get to your house?"

"It's a couple of miles so I thought that we could shift and go for a run?"

"Okay, sure." Maybe it would be good for me to be in wolf form, maybe I could forget all of my human problems. Being able to switch forms and leave everything beyond being an instinctual being was new to me.

"Great," he walked off the porch and gestured to me to follow, so I did. "We'll just take off our jeans and tee-shirts and carry them in this bag." He produced a bag from behind a tree.

"How did you....?"

"As shifters, we tend to have stores of clothing around the territory for just such purposes." He answered.

"Smart." Another reminder that I wasn't prepared for this life and didn't know anything remotely useful.

"Okay, so we leave the bag here and then once you shift bring your clothes back and put them in." I nodded heading into the trees. I followed his advice stepping out of the clothes I was wearing, leaving on the underwear I had and then shifting. Once in wolf form, I picked up the clothes in my mouth and carried them to the bag where he was waiting already shifted. Ready?

Yeah, let's go.

He turned and looked back at me nodding his head indicating I should follow. I did and we loped an easy pace for the longest time. The scents of small creatures and fresh air soothed my nerves. Breathing it in I let the primal part of me take control and enjoy the run. My wolf encouraged us to move faster picking up the pace as though she could outrun my thoughts. Troy easily kept up with my pace having longer legs to move on.

Doll? The simple question implied that he knew something was going on.

I'm fine, I just wanna run. I answered turning my head to glance at him. He seemed dubious and I didn't really blame him. But I just needed to forget. Right now I didn't want to think. I wanted to run and maybe even hunt. Just be a wolf. We ran the rest of the way in silence and slowed when his property neared. The house was smaller than the pack house but still large. Wow. He nudged me towards the trees and I went with him. I pulled my clothes out of the bag he dropped on the ground, taking them and walking in the opposite direction. Once I was back in human form and clothed I found that I had to focus on all of the things wrong with my life, so I walked towards the house. It was a rich dark brown, with stone columns in the front. It had the look of a cabin with the size of a house. It was beautiful and I wanted to see the inside.