2. Sealing The Deal

You stood there, utterly stunned, as the wisps of dark smoke gradually dissipated into the air. Panic surged within you, threatening to overwhelm your senses. Taking a deep breath, you attempted to quell the frantic rhythm of your heart. Perhaps Dark had vanished to mull over your request, or maybe he had simply chosen to depart. However, you didn't have time to entertain these thoughts as the deep rumble of his voice reverberated from the kitchen overlooking your living room.

Dark folded his arms across his broad chest, leaning casually against the counter. "You know, in my... aeons of existence, a date with me isn't a prayer I would expect to hear," he remarked, his tone laced with a hint of amusement.

The room remained dimly lit, the flickering candles casting dancing shadows across the walls. Slowly, you broke free from the spot that seemed to hold you captive and made your way to the light switch, keeping a cautious eye on Dark, half-expecting him to vanish if you looked away.

With a soft click, the warm glow of the overhead lamp flooded the room, illuminating Dark's features. His gaze remained fixed on you, an enigmatic blend of curiosity and calculation.

"Well," he sighed, a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips. With a casual shrug, he turned his attention to the granite counters, his movements betraying a sense of purpose as he obscured whatever task he was undertaking.

As you watched him, a sense of unease settled in the pit of your stomach. What was Dark up to? You couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this encounter than met the eye.

He walked gracefully to the small round dining table with two seats next to the window and placed a bottle of wine down, a bottle you didn't have, which led you to assume he must have conjured it somehow. "What kind of guest would I be if I were rude? Take a seat, let's discuss," he said, his voice smooth and controlled.

Dark's eyes held little emotion, despite the faint smile lingering on his lips. He appeared strikingly different from an average human, his posture too perfect, his features too precise. In your perception, it was as if he were... black and white, akin to a monochrome film reel. The closer you got to the table, the colder it seemed, as if he were radiating the absence of warmth, embodying the essence of the void itself. He had your chair pulled out, waiting for you to take your seat, and when you finally did, hesitantly, he took the one directly across from you.

An awkward silence settled over the room. The window blinds remained closed since you shut them for the ritual, making the space feel stuffy, especially under his watchful gaze. You gulped nervously as he began to pour the wine into two cups, sliding yours to your end of the table. The crimson liquid swirled inside the glass like a vortex, a stark contrast to the stillness of the room. You fidgeted with your hands under the table, unsure of what to do next. It seemed to you that you had already irked him, and any further misstep might push him over the edge.

He let out a breath after he took a sip, licking the wine of his lips, it was radiating its crimson colour vibrantly against his skin. "So, what is your prayer, mortal?"

His fingers trailed the rim of his cup, a silent gesture urging the conversation to flow from your side as you remained seated, trying to gather your courage. Eventually, you decided to abandon your nervousness, reminding yourself that you were in your own home and entitled to feel comfortable. You shifted in your seat, crossing one leg over the other before speaking.

"I need a date, and I have no one," you began, the words tumbling out in a rush. "It's the wedding of my cousin... and my ex. But it's not really about them. I just wanted to have a nice outing. However, I must have a plus one because they are a bunch of pricks who don't want to let people enjoy themselves."