INTERROGATION OF DEATH

FADE IN GRAPHIC:

                                             Came Upon Some Bodies Rotting

                                             Thought Them Dead

                                             But They Were Plotting

                                             For A World Alive We Took For Granted

                                             No Corpse Nor Ghost Would Be Planted.

                                             Came Upon Some Corpses Stinking

                                             Looked Like Hell But Still Were Thinking

                                             Of Death And Life and Earthly Wonder

                                             Old And Young Would Be Their Plunder.

                                                                                              - anonymous

EXT. A CEMETERY ROAD - DAY

A shiny black SUV cruises slowly down a narrow, well-treed road. Crypts, tombstones and memorials fill the lush green landscape as far as the eye can see.  This is a modern cemetery, manicured and inviting.

The hearse passes a sign reading:

Green Pastures Cemetery, Mausoleum and Crematory

A Funeral Directors International Property

Respect - Dignity - Peace - We Want Your Body

INT. THE BLACK SUV - MOVING - DAY

In contrast to the serenity outside, there is a PAIN-FILLED MOAN from the back seat.

The grim-faced DRIVER dressed in a black suit keeps his eyes on the road. Beside the driver, riding shotgun is another MAN whose face is in shadow. He is dressed in soiled, ripped coveralls. The shadow man's eyes shift to the backseat as moans give way to pathetic whimpers.

LANE SLAUGHTER sits in the back seat. Her hands are bound and her feet are shackled. She has a black cloth bag draped over her head and her clothes are dirty and torn up. 

The car continues down the road toward a large building - the cemetery's administration center and video streaming studio.

INT. CEMETERY ADMIN. BUILDING - VIDEO STUDIO - DAY

A sign is projected on the white cyclorama reading "Funeral Directors International". Several expensive caskets and a shiny black hearse dress up the studio floor of the otherwise bare sound stage.

Two STUDIO ASSISTANTS set up lights. A single video camera on a tripod is already on the floor. The perimeter of the studio is dark.

MANFRED JESSOP, about 60, stern-looking, reads a message on his "Smart phone". Jessop wears a monocle suggesting his old-world European heritage. He's impeccably coiffed and wears a dark mourning suit, looking every inch a straight-laced funeral director.

The FLOOR DIRECTOR, young, lean and fey, tries to speak with Jessop but he is impatiently waved away.

JESSOP: They're here.

A side door to the studio opens. The SUV driver pushes Lane, now strapped into a wheelchair, onto the studio floor. All kinds of shackles, chains and locks are wrapped around her torso. The Floor Director takes over, positioning Lane's wheelchair in front of the hearse just behind an X that is taped on the floor. Lane strains against her shackles.