THE LAST STRAW

INT. VIDEO STUDIO - SAME

Jessop paces in front of Lane. He stops long enough to take the monocle from his eye. He holds it out and the Floor Director spritzes it with Windex. Jessop buffs the eyepiece clean.

JESSOP:  But despite these developments, you didn't contact the authorities, not even your uncle.

LANE: I was terrified of what he might do to us. 

JESSOP: Nonsense. You continued to live under the same roof with this monster. 

LANE: Not for long.

INT. LANE'S APARTMENT - NIGHT 

Lane sits at her dining table reading a newspaper article captioned "Hooker Skinned Alive". 

INSERT SHOT OF HOOKER'S PHOTO. 

Lane stands up in a rage. She throws the paper aside. Frantic and angry, she swipes a photograph of her father off the sideboard and stomps on it. She turns around and sees her father standing in the shadows at her open apartment door. He turns and slowly walks away. 

LANE (V.O.) When you don't wake up from a nightmare, it only gets worse. 

INT. LANE'S APARTMENT BATHROOM - NIGHT 

Lane is in the shower. She turns off the water and steps onto the bathroom floor. She pats herself dry with a towel singing a rendition of SOME ENCHANTED EVENING from South Pacific. 

LANE: (singing - badly) Some enchanted evening, you may see a stranger, you may see a stranger - across a crowded room. 

OUTSIDE LANE'S BATHROOM DOOR - CONTINUOUS

Rushton approaches the door and stops. He licks his lips. His bony fingers grasp the door knob and turn it slowly. 

BACK INSIDE THE BATHROOM - 

Thick steam hangs heavily in the air. Rushton enters with a sinister smile on his face. He wears the coonskin hat. He sees Lane's form through the dissipating steam but she doesn't know he's there until - 

RUSHTON: You look like your mother did at your age.

ANGLE ON LANE - She wears a pound of cold cream on her face, curlers in her hair, slippers and a thick terry cloth robe. Lane gasps and pushes past him. He laughs maniacally. 

INT. LANE'S APARTMENT BEDROOM - CONTINUOUS

Lane hurries away from the bathroom closing up her robe.  Stops dead in her tracks. Her room is a mess - clothes thrown everywhere. She turns to confront her father who stands in the bathroom doorway. He wears a pair of heels and a bra. 

 RUSHTON: What do you think? 

LANE: Disgusting. 

RUSHTON: You're just jealous because they fit me better than you. (He pulls at his underwear) You're too fat to look pretty. 

Lane gasps and swings a fist at his head. Rushton stops her hand in mid-air before it connects. They are face-to-face. He smiles, flashing his brown teeth.

 RUSHTON: A man has needs; even a dead man. 

Lane slaps him so hard, that his nose is knocked to one side. 

Rushton pushes his nose back into place and sucker punches Lane. She staggers but recovers quickly - coming back at him with a series of impressive martial arts moves. Rushton ends up standing in front of the bedroom window. 

 RUSHTON: Remember daughter, when I don't get what I want, I take it.

Rushton seizes a stuffed teddy bear from atop a dresser and rips an ear off the plushy.