DEAD MAN STALKING

EXT. THE STORAGE LOCKER - DAY 

LANE (V.O.)  The facility manager called me as soon he opened up the next day.  Healy and I rushed right over.

Lane and Healy stare blankly at the empty chest freezer. The STORAGE FACILITY MANAGER flicks the light switch on the wall. The lights blink off and on. 

STORAGE MANAGER: Power was out for 24 hours. Good thing you didn't have any frozen goods in that. Be thawed for sure. Nothing smells worse than spoiled meat. But then you'd know that running a funeral parlour.  Eh?

The Storage Manager chuckles but Lane offers no reply.

INT. LANE'S CAR - MOMENTS LATER 

Healy sits in the driver's seat staring blankly out the front window. 

HEALY: One thing is for sure.  Your old man sure gets around for a dead guy. 

LANE: Healy, I haven't told you everything about my father. (She takes a deep breath- steeling herself) He's not dead.  I mean, he "died" but he's still walking and talking.  Healy smiles sickly, hesitates then -

HEALY: I knew it!!!

LANE:  You knew he was undead?

HEALY: I knew you were crazy!

Lane's cell phone vibrates. It dances across the top of the dashboard. She grabs the phone and puts it to her ear. 

LANE: Lane Slaughter. 

INTERCUT BETWEEN LANE SITTING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF HER SUV AND RUSHTON AT A PHONE BOOTH. 

Rushton wears a hat and upturned collar but it's undeniably him. 

LANE: Who's there? Hello?

RUSHTON: You did a bad thing. Daddy's girl needs to be punished. 

Lane shuts off her phone immediately. Healy can see that she is in shock. Lane reaches into the glove compartment and pulls out an "Air Sick Bag". She throws up into it LOUDLY. Healy's face screws up at the unsightly display that goes on and on. Lane finally composes herself but there is vomit dripping down her chin. Healy points at it - to no avail.

LANE: I need a place to hide. 

Lane's SUV pulls out of the parking lot. 

ANGLE ON A BOX VAN as it slowly follows Lane's SUV out of the parking lot. 

EXT. FUNERAL HOME LANEWAY - DAY

Lane's car is parked at the back door of the funeral home.  Lane looks about nervously, thinking they're being watched, as Healy helps load luggage and other items into the vehicle.

LANE (V.O.)  We hurried back home and loaded what we could.  I couldn't leave town because the building was still up for sale, but we couldn't stay there.  He'd be watching our every move.

Lane peels away down the alley, not realizing Healy is still standing out there holding shopping bags and her one-eared plushie.  She reverses the car to pick him up.  Annoyed, he shakes his head and gets in.  Her car peels away again.

EXT. A MOTEL PARKING LOT - DAY

Lane's SUV is parked in front of a motel unit.  She is inside a room and draws the curtains closed.

LANE (V.O.) We kept moving staying in different hotels and motels. I looked over my shoulder so much, I got a crick in my neck.

INT. THE VIDEO STUDIO - SAME

JESSOP: (perusing his file) A Days Inn, A Holiday Inn, Motel 6, Ramada, Hilton...

LANE: So you were following me.