POPSICLE ROULETTE

EXT. THE COFFEE SHOP PARKING LOT - CONTINUOUS

The ice cream Vendor wears a clown suit and heavy make-up. He leans into his ice chest and pulls out ice cream bars for two waiting KIDS.  He also holds out a few Popsicles but the kids wave them away, focusing on their ice cream treats.

We can see Crim and Domagio sitting at window seats monitoring the clown's activities.

INT. THE COFFEE SHOP - CONTINUOUS

The waitress sets down a serving of banana cream pie and a cup of espresso in front of Healy.

WAITRESS: Anything else?

CRIM: Just the check, dear, and hurry won't you?

The waitress walks away from the table to get the check.

HEALY: (to the waitress) One tab, right?

CRIM: I think it's time to show Ms. Slaughter our tools of the trade.

Healy can't get a fork into his pie before Crim and Domagio stand up. Lane brushes past Healy and follows the others to the door.

Before Healy knows what's happening, the waitress puts the bill in front of him.  With the others gone, he's obliged to pay for the food.  He grudgingly hands money to the waitress and hurries after the others.  

EXT. COFFEE SHOP PARKING LOT - A MOMENT LATER

Crim, Domagio, Lane and Healy exit the coffee shop. Healy arrives waving the food check. Crim pockets it focusing on more urgent matters.

CRIM: Now Lane, if you'll go with Mr. Domagio, I'll treat your friend to a refreshing treat.

Healy sticks his tongue out at Lane. Lane reciprocates.

Domagio leads Lane to the FDI landscape truck at the edge of the parking lot. It's parked along a fence that separates the parking area from the motel swimming pool next door.

Crim points Healy to the ice cream Vendor. ANOTHER GROUP OF KIDS are picking their treats from the bike's menu.  Once again the clown Vendor holds out a few Popsicles to tempt the children.  Once again there are no takers. 

AT THE LANDSCAPE TRUCK -

Lane peers inside the back of the truck which is full of electronic surveillance gear (TV cameras, radio scanners and cable) as well as tools, shovels and a lawnmower. Attached to the truck's hitch is a substantial wood chipper on four wheels. The chipper is painted black and the printing on the chipper cowelling reads: Big Chomp. "Silence is golden".

LANE: Looks nasty.

Domagio motions to his hearing aid that he can't hear her.

LANE: What's it do?

Domagio turns on the wood chipper and throws a hefty tree branch into the hopper. The grinders do their work reducing the branch to wood chips in the blink of an eye and with hardly a sound. 

LANE: (impressed) Pretty quiet.

DOMAGIO:  Better when we don't draw attention to our work.

LANE:  (innocently) Quiet gardening. Good idea.

BACK WITH CRIM AND HEALY - Crim waves - trying to get the clown ice cream Vendor's attention. Healy takes a step towards the Vendor since he isn't coming to them, but Crim holds him back.

The Kids walk away from the Vendor with their ice creams in hand. 

Crim whistles and waves again at the ice cream Vendor. The clown reluctantly nods at Crim then rides the freezer box on wheels to where Crim and Healy are standing. The Vendor dismounts his bike but doesn't make eye contact.