SLAUGHTER HOUSE RULES

EXT. THE STUDIO PARKING LOT - DAY

The sky is blue and the sun is shining as Healy leads Lane across the parking lot. He stops and smiles.

HEALY: Breathe it in, Lane. That's what life smells like. No dead bodies, no cemeteries, no more gravers. Lane, we beat death.

LANE: I know but poor Mitch.

HEALY: Yeah. He was a great guy.

LANE: Is that all you have to say?

HEALY: There's a Denny's a few blocks from here. I could go for a Grand Slam. My treat.

LANE: Healy, we can't leave Mitch behind.

Healy knows she's right.

HEALY:  I know. I can't leave somebody to be ground up like hamburger when he saved my life. I could've last week but not today. What do you think that means, Lane?

LANE: It means we're better people for what we've been through. We've set ourselves to a higher standard.  We have a more refined conscience and a stronger respect for life. Respect for humanity and ourselves. It's a new beginning.

HEALY: Really? All that?

Lane laughs.

LANE: No, I'm just shitting you. But how do we get Mitch out before they chop ...

VROOM! THE NOW FAMILIAR SOUND OF THE WOODCHIPPER PROCESSING A BODY.

Since the pail containing the Floor Director's remains was removed, the bloody discharge from the woodchipper chute sails across the parking lot. It hits the roof of Lane's SUV with a SPLAT - spilling blood and guts everywhere.

HEALY: Holy shit.

Lane reacts in horror.

LANE: Oh god! Poor uncle Mitch!

HEALY: I'm sorry babe. Maybe we can catch a cab at the front gate...

VROOM! Lane and Healy watch as another load of blood and guts arch through the air, splattering again on the SUV's roof.

HEALY: I really should move your car.

GUNSHOTS - BOOM, BOOM. Mitch runs out of the studio door carrying Lane's Diary. A handful of other staff run for their lives out the studio door. Lane and Healy hurry to the priest and Lane hugs him.

LANE: We thought they killed you!

Healy picks Jessop's monocle out of the bloody sludge on the ground. The rest of their guts slither down the side of the vehicle.

LANE: Crim and Jessop?

MITCH: Sad to say.

HEALY: Mitch, you didn't? You said you couldn't break a commandment.

MITCH: (dismissing) There's no Thou Shalt Not Lie commandment. 

HEALY: But you slushified them.  

MITCH: Me, nah.

LANE: Then who?

MITCH: He came out of the shadows and surprised us.

Lane's face turns to stone as she sees a sinister figure emerge from the studio darkness. It's what's left of her father, charred and staggering towards them. Rushton's now a walking skeleton draped with bits of burnt tissue and ligament. He has Healy's shotgun and fires a round at them, hitting Healy in the arm. He grabs the wound and sinks to his knees.  

Lane kneels beside Healy, cradling his head. He's dazed and bleeding.

HEALY: Lane. I'm beginning to think your dad doesn't like me.