RETURNED TO SENDER

INT. VIDEO STUDIO -SAME SET-UP - A LITTLE LATER

JESSOP: Did you think to tell anyone about this marvel - your father's resurrection from the dead?

LANE: No.

JESSOP: The priest? Surely a priest would have been interested in this miracle.

LANE: No. I didn't tell Uncle Mitch.

JESSOP: Why?

LANE: What I was seeing, what I was living, was impossible. I thought...I thought I was crazy. 

JESSOP: But there was a funeral to arrange! How to bury your father when there was no corpse!

LANE: We had the funeral. 

EXT. A CEMETERY - DAY - ESTABLISHING SHOT OF THE SLAUGHTER CRYPT 

The facade of the crypt is a monument to Rushton's former ego. The name SLAUGHTER is engraved above the doorway and flanked by high granite pillars. A small group of MOURNERS waits outside the gated entry. The flower-draped casket is carried from a hearse into the crypt by PALLBEARERS. 

Father Mitch, dressed in priestly vestments, reads from a bible and sprinkles holy water over the casket as it passes.

LANE (V.O.) It was a closed casket. Nobody questioned that because he died in a car wreck. I put bags of sand in the box and screwed down the lid. I felt bad that Uncle Mitch eulogized an empty container, but it was better he didn't know.

JESSOP (V.O.) Didn't know that his brother was one of the Walking Dead?

LANE (V.O.) If what you say is true - there wasn't a heaven or hell to receive him - I didn't know.

The funeral wraps up and Mitch leads Lane away from the crypt. Lane provides an over-the-top weepy-daughter performance. Rushton, wearing a wide sombrero, moustache and Mexican peasant robes, watches from under the shade of a tree. He gives his daughter a thumbs-up as she passes by.

INT. FUNERAL HOME - RUSHTON'S APARTMENT - DAY

Rushton, looking very spry and healthy for a dead guy, rolls paint onto a wall. Lane hangs new curtains on the window. 

LANE (V.O.) I shut down the business and laid off our staff for the summer. They thought I was too grief-stricken to go on. In fact, it was just the opposite.

Rushton clumsily kicks over a can of paint. Lane waits for him to explode with anger but he laughs and shrugs. 

LANE (V.O.) Dad and I were making up for lost time. He had become the father I never had and always needed. 

MUSIC - MONGO JERRY singing - In the Summertime over:

EXT. A THOROUGHBRED RACETRACK - FINISH LINE - DAY

Lane and Rushton cheer on horses galloping to the finish line. Their horse wins. Rushton pulls a winning ticket from his pocket. 

Lane is thrilled as she and her father have their picture taken with the winning horse and jockey.

EXT. FRONT OF A GLITZY THEATRE - NIGHT

Rushton and Lane are dressed in formal wear. Rushton hands money to a FLOWER SELLER for a single rose which he hands to his daughter. He holds the door open as Lane acknowledges his gallantry and walks through it. 

INT. AN ART GALLERY - DAY

Lane and Rushton stroll in front of a wall of artwork. They each wear audio-tour headphones. Lane stops, noticing that Rushton's headset is lop-sided. Lane fusses over her dad's headset, then sees that one of his ears has detached, lodging in the headset cup. No matter. She nonchalantly dabs super glue on the ear and re-attaches it to his head.