Chapter 9

Gladia

Gemini jumped out of the carriage hastily with his cousin following him from behind with his arms crossed.
The Duke didn't seemed thrilled as he was being bossed around. He also couldn't believe Gemini had reached a conclusion with so little information. He decided to question the prince for answers.
"Your royal highness, may I ask how you managed to figure things out?"
The prince stopped and turned around. "It's simple, actually. The culprit needed a distraction."
Libra was still confused. "Excuse me. I don't quite follow...?"
Gemini sighed and gave his cousin a smirk. "To plot a coup d'état, you need to attack while the enemy is vulnerable."
That's when it hit Libra. "Wait. So why are we both here? Shouldn't we be in the capital protecting it." He took a deep breath, trying to keep calm and not lose his temper in front of the prince. What were the prince's intentions? "If you knew this was going to happen, why'd you lead us here? If you knew this was a trap, why?"
They both stared at the silence where the only thing heard was the whistle of the wind.
"I might be immature, but I'm not an idiot. I already took care of everything. Tonight, the traitor will take advantage of my father's old age as well as the absence of the kingdom's greatest swordmaster, ad in you, and I, the commander of the imperial knight." He took a second to catch his breath before proceeding. "At dawn, my men will take position and things will go according to plan. My second in command, Viscount Chestire, should be getting my message about right now."
Libra let out a sigh and sat down on a rock. "What do we do now?"
"We wait."

...

Leo was sitting on the streets with a piece of paper Gemini had left him before leaving. He, himself, didn't know the content of the letter. He only knew he was supposed to pass the information to Gemini's right hand man, Viscount Chestire.
"You must be Leo."
In front of him stood a tall man, not older than thirty. His figure was definitely intimidating.
Leo swallowed his spit and gave the paper to the viscount. The nobleman took the paper and read it thoroughly. At each word he read, his facial expression would change. When he finished, the only words he could say were: "Oh my lord."
He shoved the letter back into the commoner's hands and ordered him. "Burn the letter. Don't let a soul know the content of the paper. Is it clear."
Leo nodded.
When the viscount left, Leo was taken over by curiosity. He decided to read it.
The content was surprising and it left him flabbergasted.
What was Gemini planning?
What the hell was going to happen?

...

Leo held the letter over a candle as it burned slowly. In all the time he knew his friend, never would he have thought he could be this cold-blooded.
As the words burned, Leo read it one last time.

At dawn, when the traitor will show his face, position every imperial knights around the capital while my my personal guards be around the castle. I've already given the message around that no one should be seen near the castle. Slaughter anyone who shows up in front of the palace. At sunrise, all enemy troups shall be annihilated and have the knights clean up the bloodbath. There shall be not a speck of blood on the ground. In case that the traitor brings in reinforcement,  make sure to well secure the capital's walls.
May this battle be in your favor,
His royal higness, Prince Gemini of Gladia

He suddenly heard screams of agony outside his home. It seemed the battle has started. All he hoped was for the soldiers to be victorious.
He sat on a chair listening to the fight outside. He found it nearly unbearable to listen. But all that pain could never amount to the day his family was massacred. It reminded him of that day he lost everything. If only he could forget.

...

Morning came as Gemini walked out of his tent. He and Libra had set camp on an desolate wasteland late last night. He looked around trying to search for a certain falcon.
"Are you looking for something?"
The prince turned around only to see the intimidating Duke. "Viscount Chestire was supposed to send me a message containing the result of the battle. I can't help but feel worried that we have somehow failed."
"I don't think you did."
Gemini was perplexed. For the first time his cousin had sort of complimented.
Libra, seeing Gemini's reaction, decided to elaborate. "I might call you childish and immature, but it doesn't change the fact that you're bright and a good leader."
A huge smile beemed on Gemini's face. He put an arm on his shoulder. "You love me so much dear cuz cuz." He teased the poor Duke who grew strangely timid at his remarks.
Libra tried changing the subject. "Is that a falcon over there." He pointed at the sky in the direction of a bird with a letter attached to its leg.
The well trained bird landed on the prince's arm. Gemini untied the letter and read it quickly skipping nearly the entire letter. It was obvious he wasn't interested in the details, but the result itself. He rapidly found it in the bottom of the paper.

It's a pleasure that I can announce this message to you, your highness. Our troups are victorious and the enemies have been vanquished.
Your trusted friend,
Viscount Isaac Chestire

The prince smiled. He felt a sense of accomplishment each time he won a battle no matter how much he fought.
"We won?" Libra asked, curious of the results.
His cousin nodded. The falcon, seeing as the prince had finished reading the message, flew away in the desolate wasteland as the two cousins watched it fly away.