Chapter 17

Gladia

"I'll be leaving to the northern border for a week." Gemini told the princess. "I'll be participating in the Moster Suppression Festival. You're more then welcome to hang with my parents. They'll be staying here and since you don't seem ready to go out in public, it'll do you some good."
Virgo gave him a slight smile. Ever since she rejected him on their way to Gladia, one could assume their relationship has been awkward.
As much as they tried to forget what had happened, there was always a somewhat uncomfortable air around them.
"I wish you luck, Gemini."
As he left, Virgo looked out her window. It was snowing outside. She found it beautiful. Pervaz didn't have much snow, at least not in the capital, and even if there was, it wasn't like she could go outside.
As she looked down, she saw the Queen taking a stroll in the courtyard.
Ever since she got there, she had only spoken to Gemini, and occasionally the King, who have grown curious of her.
According to others, the Queen had been quite busy.
Seeing as she was taking a stroll, Virgo decided to use this opportunity to get closer with her. After all, didn't they live in the same castle?
She quickly opened her drawer. The maids had placed some warm clothing in there. She put them on rapidly before joining the Queen.
"Good afternoon, your Highness." She bowed.
The Queen smiled. "Well good afternoon Virgo. Have you come to join me on my stroll?"
She let out a small chuckle. "Well, yes. I've realized we haven't talked alone much with your busy schedule and everything."
"I admit that's true. But I do recognize your voice has gotten much more confident since the first day."
It was true. Talking with Gemini made her more at ease with speaking to others. She was surprised the Queen noticed her way of speech as they had only spoke once: When Gemini introduced her to his parents. After that, they never talked again.
"You're welcome to join me, dear. I've also been meaning to have a conversation with you. So tell me, have you been enjoying your stay?"
"I have. The palace staff have been nothing but kind towards me and they were quite hospitable."
"I'm glad you feel this way. So I understand my son has taken a liking in you? And that you turned him down?"
Virgo gave the Queen an awkward chuckle. It was true she was quite harsh towards the prince and with his mother breathing down her neck, it didn't help her nervosity.
"Yes. I apologize. I meant to let him down easy, but he caught me off guard."
The Queen looked at her pocket watch. "Well, it seems I have somewhere to be. It was nice speaking to you Virgo."
"Likewise, your majesty."
"How about we go dress shopping tomorrow? My schedule should be free with all the nobles at the Moster Suppression Festival."
"Of course, it's an honor to be invited by your majesty."
The two parted way as the queen left for her meeting.
Virgo felt a sense of pride as she walked away. She had achieved her goal of getting closer to the Queen of Gladia and she was proud of herself for being more comfortable talking to others.

...

After numerous hunting attempts, it was finally the last day of the Monster Suppression Festival. Capricorn was on one knee aiming her crossbow at a augurey, a sort of bird long believe to presume death. Of course, Capricorn wasn't one to believe in such superstitions.
She was careful not to make a sound.
She took a deep breath before releasing its arrow
Bullseye.
She turned around, not bothering picking it up.
"Aren't you going to bring it back, Lady Capricorn?"
The voice took her by surprise as she did a small jump. "Prince Gemini? What are you doing here?"
"Well, hunting of course. It's the last day and I've been hoping to catch better game. I've currently caught a chimera and a couple of other small creatures. I must admit, there aren't a lot of game to hunt this year."
Capricorn nodded in agreement.
"So back to my original question, aren't you going to bring your prey back."
"God no. I'd hate to get my hands dirty. I might be hunting, but I'm still a dignified noblewoman." She told him. "Oh, and I noticed you're alone, your highness. Aren't you supposed to always have guards by your side?"
"I simply ditched them. I was planning to go to the black zone of the forest. They would just get in my way."
The black zone was a dangerous area where the most menacing creatures lurked. Many nobleman have tried adventuring in there, but all came out half dead. It was safe to assume the prince was mad for wanting to go to such place, and so was she, for wanting to go with him.
"Mind if I join you? I would like to visit the black zone."
"Sure."
They mounted their horses as they made their way towards the area.
Just before entering, Gemini looked at the lady making sure she wasn't having second thoughts and they both disappeared in the dark path.

...

"Missing?!"
Virgo was shocked. Someone had just announced her that Gemini haven't returned.
She started panicking.
Her feelings towards Gemini were still unclear to her. She cared for him, but she barely knew if she wanted to be more than friends. He was kind and funny and the whole package. Bonus point, he was good-looking.
When she turned him down, she thought she didn't like him, but now, her chain of thought was chaotic.
She hated herself for only noticing her feelings when he was in trouble. She knew she loved him, it was the only conclusion she was able to pull from her chaotic head.
He was gone. And she loved him.

I'm going to make a second part for this chapter.
Do you guys ship Gemini x Virgo or Gemini x Capricorn?
I honestly can't decide.