25. Downfall

A few minutes passed and we sat still in the car

As if both trying to recover from what happened. Me especially since I never actually expected that Abhi would kiss me like that in front of bhai. Even though he said he was disgusted by me and that he hated me and so many other harsh things in the past three months.

His hate had felt shallow. Almost pointless. Aimless and a void.

Of ignorance.
Of pain.
Of anguish.
Of fear.
Of rage.

He had acted like a complete asshole. And I had kept quite about it thinking that he was hurt and he needed to vent out all his frustration before he would probably forget that I was ever a part of his life.

The idea of him moving on raged havoc within my very being. Almost as if my soul itself was being ripped out of my body by the grim reaper. But the reality of him insulting me and my family also wavered my resolve and made me want to protect my family.

I was being ripped into shreds. Who could I fucking support?

My family?
My friend, Evara?
My love?

I couldn't support anyone without hurting someone else in the process.
Who gave Abhi the right to think that I will allow him to rip myself to shreds.

.

"You met Evara?" Bhai asked his voice trembling and cracking at the mere mention of Evara's name. His voice was all it took to turn my attention towards my brother who looked as miserable as he sounded.

I remained silent.

"I am asking you something for fuck sake." he asked with a harsher tone. His patience wanning and his tone making me jolt with fear and apprehension of being caught doing something wrong.

I simply nod my head while looking down.

The car stills and bhai doesn't utter a single word nor do I hear him breathe for almost a few very long and excursively painful moments.

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked softer this time while placing his hand on my head. A gesture that always seemed to calm down me down since our childhood. My memories drifting away to the time.

When he was teaching me to ride a bicycle without the training wheels and fell down almost instantly the moment he left me. And I looked at the gashing blood on my knees and cried in fear. Claiming to never ride a bicycle again.

But he had patted my head. Given my a motive. Passed me courage and loved me more than anything else in the world maybe?

He held on to me.
Till I was perfect.

My brother never left me.
He never left me to fall.

.

"Evara asked me not to." I lied through my teeth. Biting my tongue as my voice shivered. I knew the only way my brother would not meet Evara was if Evara wanted that herself. He will never go against her wishes.