Chapter Twelve

Gotham City

December 22, 06:05 EDT

Elizabeth woke up the next morning feeling tired still. Evelyn had slept well and hadn't woken up that much during the night. Bruce wasn't around yet but Selina was. Elizabeth prepared some breakfast for them since Alfred wasn't there yet. She hoped that he wasn't overworking himself. Elizabeth decided to go to the Batcave to see if the Batmobile was back. She found Bruce still dressed up as Batman. "Where's Alfred?" he asked clearly in pain.

"He's not awake yet, he was out late last night." Elizabeth answered before inquiring, "Do you need help?"

"Yes," Bruce said after some thought. So she helped him walk to where he instructed her. "I'll need some assistance taking off the suit," he told her, "I think I'm a little more banged up than I thought I was." First Elizabeth pulled off the cowl revealing Bruce's face. His hair fell forward looking sweaty. She continued to pull more off revealing different layers.

"Should I get--" Elizabeth began to ask.

"No," Bruce interrupted, "she would worry too much." After a few more layers the suit was off all that was left was a plain white shirt and a pair of shorts. Both looked like they were soaked through and hung tightly to his body. The shirt though had a hole in the side where some dried blood was.

Elizabeth's eyes grew big, "What happened?"

"The Joker happened, along with a few other big timers." Bruce said sitting up, "Now I need you to get a box out of that drawer." Elizabeth did as he said turning around to see he had taken off his shirt. A few bruises were visible, some just starting to show up. She cleaned the wound for him doing exactly what he said. Together they headed back to the house where Bruce showered and got dressed. Elizabeth went back to the breakfast area where Selina had turned on the news.

A female reporter was speaking, "This just in, last night's nationwide attacks death toll has been brought up to an estimate of over a thousand. The Justice League did their best to handle the attacks but there were too many of them for each one to be accounted for. Cities attacked include: Gotham City, Hawkville, Metropolis, Star City..."

Elizabeth didn't hear the rest though as she rushed out of the room. She called her parents but nobody picked up, so she tried several more times calling the various numbers she had for them. Finally Elizabeth gave up. Tears leaped to her eyes as she sat there. Bruce crouched next to her, putting a hand on her back. "They aren't answering," Elizabeth whispered. He didn't say anything so she went on, "They haven't tried to contact me... they're probably worried to death about me being hurt or possibly dead. What if... they're dead? What will I do?" She stopped unable to speak.

"They probably can't get to where they can contact you. Everything is a mess right now," Bruce told her, "they'll contact you when the get the chance to. If they didn't make it they'll be in your heart. You go out and change the world... that's what I did."

"Change the world? I'm just one person, how can I change the world?" Elizabeth asked looking up at him.

Bruce replied, "There are many things you can do. You just have to find something that you feel that will change the world." Elizabeth calmed down after a while and they both went back to breakfast.

The phone rang and Bruce picked it up. He talked for a while before hanging up. "What is it?" Selina inquired.

"They want me to ID Alfred," Bruce stated looking a little pale.

Tears leaped to Elizabeth's eyes again as she asked, "Do you think it's really him?"

"That's why I need to check." He told her putting on a jacket, "I'll be back."