Chapter Seventeen

Gotham City

February 3, 15:35 EDT

"Oh my! Selena! Look at these heels!" Harley shouted as she pulled a pair of dangerously high high heels off of a shoe display.

"You've got to try those on." Selena laughed as she flagged down a saleswoman before telling her the proper shoe size to get.

Afternoons when not training were fun like this. There was nothing to worry about but take care of the baby and drive Selena around. Elizabeth held Evelyn as Mrs. Wayne and her friends Harley Quinn and Pamela, aka Poison Ivy, looked at various heels. The saleswoman came back out with the box containing the high heels. Harley slipped on the heels and with the help of Poison Ivy stood. She took a few wobbly steps before getting used to the heels.

"How do I look?" Harley asked striking a pose.

"Fabulous darling!" Poison Ivy stated smiling dangerously.

Elizabeth stepped in saying, "I think you are making the saleswoman nervous a tad bit."

It was true, the saleswoman looked at the ex felons warily as if they were going to cause havoc at any second.

"If Selena can be good, so can we..." Harley said pausing, "for the most part. Girls just want to have fun right?"

"You know I've got to be on my best behavior for Bruce," Selena replied ignoring her friend's mischievous look.

Poison Ivy spoke, "Speaking of Bruce, what are you two doing for Valentine's day?"

"Welllll," Selena dragged on, "nothing much. We're planning on having a quiet night at home."

"Is she going to take care of Evelyn elsewhere?" Harley inquired referring to Elizabeth.

Selena looked at Elizabeth as if realizing for the first time that there was another person in the house with her and her husband. "I actually haven't thought about that. Do you have plans Elizabeth?" she asked.

Elizabeth shrugged as Evelyn reached for her nose, "Not that I know of. We don't have anything big planned at least. I assumed I would be taking care of Evelyn for you all day and night."

"Oh!" Selena simply exclaimed before continuing, "Well if you want to do something with special with Dick, I'll be willing to watch over Evelyn for a while."

Elizabeth squirmed a bit at the mention of her love life in public. "It's okay, I'll let you know later. Let's return the heels unless you are getting them." she replied changing the subject.

Just as Elizabeth spoke the earth shook as an explosive went off in the mall. Evelyn began crying. "Well, we tried to stay out of trouble," Poison Ivy sighed before running off with the pair of heels out of the store.

Harley followed her shouting that she saw them first. Elizabeth looked at Mrs. Wayne torn between running to help protect the people of Gotham and protecting her adopted family. "Oh go on, I'll try to head home with Evelyn. Tell him I'm waiting." Selena stated grabbing her daughter and soothing her cries.

Elizabeth rushed off to see what the chaos was about. She ditched into one of the round clothing wracks where she made put on her Nightingale outfit and proceeded to make herself invisible.

Nightwing and Young Flash were teaming up against some Jokerz. They looked eerily similar to the Jokerz Elizabeth had seen on the fateful night she met Batman. A Joker was gaining the upper hand against Nightwing when Elizabeth turned the tables with a simple wack on the back of the head.

The Joker passed out as Nightwing asked, "Who's there?"

"It's me," Elizabeth stated turning her masked face visible, "Nightingale. I was around and figured you guys could use some help."

"You haven't finished your training yet!" Nightwing objected expertly twirling his staff.

Young Flash shouted dodging a Joker, "Dude! She's already here, so let's have her help."

Elizabeth swung her staff into a Joker aiming for Nightwing's backside. "Hmph," Nightwing said, "I guess she can stay."

Just like Elizabeth had practiced, she and Nightwing went back to back becoming a deadly storm of whirling staves. With the help of Young Flash the Jokerz were finally all caught before they could escape with their loot from the nearby jewelry store.

"I've got to go," Elizabeth stated as she began to turn invisible again, "I'll see you two later after I finish training."

With that she left going back to the round clothing rack she had changed in. She poked her head out to make sure everything was safe before she went out to the parking lot. Elizabeth went to where the car was to find Selena and Evelyn there. "I wanted to lie low for a while. I figured you'd be here soon." Selena said relieved.

"Let's go back home," Elizabeth suggested getting into the car and starting it.

Selena looked worn out, "Yes let's. That's enough chaos for the rest of my week."