Farewell II Flesh

Pairing: Cassandra x Dying!Reader

Pronouns: She/They

Requested by: gouballsxd

Warning(s): Angst, Near Death

the title is a song title from my favorite band

'Dying,' I stared at the letter in shock, trembling as Cassandra asked me what it said. 'I can't tell her... What if she leaves me?!'

"Babe?"

"I...I'm sick..."

"How sick?"

"N-not dying, don't worry," I laughed through the lie, cringing at the disbelief in her eyes.

"...How about we go for a walk and forget the results for a bit?" Cassandra suggested, bringing a small smile to my face.

"I'd like that."

Six Months Later

I sighed and stared out the window, watching Isa shovel snow from the entrance after last night's storm. 'I miss them,' The realization of how lonely the last six months had been suddenly hit me. 'I've only seen Cass and Mother Miranda... I know everyone knows something's wrong, but hopefully, I can get some of my strength back soon.' I perked up when the door opened, smiling at Cassandra as she carried my food over.

"Can I leave the room soon? Can we go on a-?"

"Not until Mother Miranda approves," She dismissed my questions, making my gaze drop. "We have new maids coming tomorrow so your position can be covered. You need to rest and recover."

"...What if there is no recovering? What if I'll stay sick?"

"What?"

"Would you stay with me if you knew I was dying?"

Cassandra's eyes widened in fear as she knelt beside me, cupping my cheeks. "Are you?"

"Answer my question first."

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?!"

"I..." I sighed and shook my head, forcing a smile. "You're immortal? You'll move on eventually when I pass, so why not start-?"

"Before you're gone?!" She exclaimed in shock and disgust. "I would never cheat on you or leave you just because you're dying. I'd love you until the end so you can pass knowing you were deeply loved."

One Month Later

"She's been improving," Mother Miranda smiled at me. "I don't know what's changed in the last month, but whatever it is, keep it up. And, [Y/N], you can start leaving the room again — interacting with others."

'Finally,' I smiled and bowed my head to her. "Thank you, Mother Miranda."

After lunch, I walked to the library — having heard that they were cleaning it today — before slipping inside.

"Thanks for helping," Isa sighed to some maid deeper in the room. "...I wish Lady Cassandra would at least let me see [Y/N]."

"Even you don't know what happened to her?"

"...She fainted one day...Hasn't left their room since," I frowned at Isa's heartbroken tone. "I know she's still alive but..."

"But what?"