Chapter 36

Gaia watched as Jean and Eren bickered some more about how he and she did their "little telepathy-thing", as Jean referred to it. She chuckled at the thought of their communication, it was not as if she could hear his thoughts the way they were insinuating. It was more like feeling his thoughts, sharing a train of thought rather than communicating within it. They understood each other. 

She was all too happy that this was still something that she and Eren could do. Her separation with everything that made her a titan, was too much for her to take sometimes. She had grown to fear that she might never turn into herself ever again. Knowing that this skill never left her gave her hope, that it was not all gone and that she could return to her former self when the time was right. 

She looked over at Eren, she would never have thought that a young 16-year-old would aid her as an anchor to her very identity. He had no idea how much she appreciated that he did not choose to estrange her for their odd instinctual habits. She could tell that he had been a bit apprehensive of her in the beginning, but he warmed so quickly up to her. They both found humour in the fact that two pairs of Ackerman eyes were scrutinizing their every move. 

She could tell that there were a select few who were still suspicious of her ability to have felt that command from this far. Hanji and Erwin were discussing it in the corner. She, herself did not understand why she could feel the Founding call from so far...

Her eyes widened...

"The Founding Call? What the hell am I thinking about?" she thought to herself. 

"Don't read too much into it, looks like it's coming back bit by bit," Eren said from the floor while Jean held him in a headlock, Jean's face darkened at the fact that they were still doing it. 

"Easier said than done, you are not the one who has something else's knowledge entering and leaving your head whenever it feels like it," Jean said letting Eren go, to check on Gaia, 

"Maybe you are just sensitive to it?" Eren said also getting up to sit next to her. Despite being - probably- younger than her, he was still a lot taller than her. He chuckled at the fact as he sat she only met his shoulder, he could not believe that Levi found someone even shorter to be with. He knew that Levi was fuming at how close they were sitting, but he could not help but want to make him angrier. He could tell that something happened between him and Gaia and that it was probably somehow connected to the fact that she could hear his call. Whatever it was, it clearly had caused Gaia to lose sleep and had left her distraught, he could not get his mind off the image of the state she was in that morning when he and Jean went to tell her of their return,  how she was curled on her bed staring into space, the blank expression on her tear-stained face was enough to make Eren want to turn into a titan. If he was not completely sure that Levi could easily overpower him, pull him out, and beat the life out of him- he would have actually considered it.

_____  

The scouts spent most of the afternoon recollecting the events of the battle in detail. They were buzzing with the knowledge that Eren could control the titans, this was something that could definitely change the outcomes of their battles. Once the excitement died down, they thought of the casualties they suffered, as the mood got more somber, some members started to excuse themselves for the evening,

"Let's go, Mikasa," Gaia said as she hopped off of the crate that she was sitting on,

"What?" Mikasa asked, as her face darkened, the rest of the group also looked a bit shocked as the two barely ever spoke to each other, not to mention that Mikasa was known for not trusting her at all,

"Well, I am not going to my room-" she started explaining which seemed to be enough because Mikasa was on her feet following her,

"-and you don't trust me enough to be alone." she completed, knowing that the girl was following closely behind her. Gaia had been aware for a long time now that Mikasa basically stalked her when she was not protecting Eren. At first, it made Gaia immensely uncomfortable, but she soon got used to Mikasa's dark eyes watching her every move. Similar to Levi, they were always watching and analyzing, almost as if they were vipers coiled up and ready to strike at any given moment. Levi would be to protect her and Mikasa would be to kill her.  Gaia laughed at the fact that they were finding themselves in a stalemate, each wanting to protect their titan-shifting partner, both lethal weapons that were giving humanity an edge over their logic-defying odds. 

"Where are we going?" Mikasa asked, bringing her out of her thoughts and looking over her shoulder, noticing the boys following not too far behind,

" To your room," Gaia answered, surprising Mikasa once again,

"Why?" she asked,

"Because Levi and I got into a fight and I do not want to be around him right now," she said bluntly, knowing that the rest of the group tailing behind them was not close enough to hear her,

"What if I did not plan on going to bed yet?" Mikasa asked, cocking an eyebrow, deciding to entertain this titan's very apparent mid-life crisis,

"What on Earth would you rather be doing at this time of the evening?" Gaia asked, she and Levi had grown accustomed to going to bed early so that they had time for all of their activities before bed, but now that she thought about it, the sun had not gone down yet, and being alone with Mikasa conscious for more than an hour seemed to not be the choice that ensured her longevity. She looked at Mikasa who had a small smile on her face, Gaia was not sure if wanted to admire how cute she looked when she smiled or to be terrified because Mikasa never did that around her. Mikasa grabbed her arm, 

"Let's go," she said dragging a confused and apprehensive Gaia, behind her. 

_________________________

What do you think Mikasa is taking Gaia to do? 

Updating soon,

Yours Especially, 

TheUntamedWord