seeking freedom

obstacle 1 - interpol

☆☾

Olivia places her quill on the desk and sighs, finally feeling free. She gets up, grabs her paper and places it on Flitwick's desk. Charms was her last exam of her life at Hogwarts. It felt weird to say this.

Olivia sends a small smile to her headmaster who looks at her nastily. He never liked her, and throughout her school years, Olivia accepted that. But today, on this last day of school, she decided it had to stop. She shows him her middle finger and bows before walking out of the Great Hall, her heels clicking on the tiles. Before he could say anything, she was already out of sight.

Once through the doors, she loosens her tie and takes a deep breath. Finally. Olivia walks to the inner courtyard while waiting for Mona to finish the exam.

Summer is coming. The sun burns her skin and the wind is gentle enough to keep one from feeling too hot. It tastes like spending the day around the lake, playing in the grass or drinking lemonade.

In the distance, she sees Roger coming out of the Great Hall. She gets up instinctively and runs towards him. But when he looks up and sees her approaching, he looks away and Olivia stays stuck in place. She observes him completely ignoring her, approaching a Gryffindor girl and kissing her deeply. She even swears she saw his tongue down her throat. She swallows hard and returns to a bench, suddenly feeling intense pain, like a knife.

She thought they could just congratulate each other, and then maybe, start playing the friend card again. She guesses it won't happen.

Remus, Roger. She already has very few people around her but if they all start ignoring her and throwing her out of their lives, what will she do? Remus, she could have predicted it. But Roger. She never thought he could cut her out of his life so easily. Fortunately, Mona is there. So when Olivia sees her leaving the Great Hall, she smiles and runs to hug her.

"We fucking did it!" shouts the blond, spinning Olivia around. "School is over!"

☆☾

"Well, I think I have everything packed in my suitcases," Olivia said, closing one of her trucks.

"You only have three suitcases?"

"Yes, Mona. I do. What about it?"

"Nothing. It's just that I have like double that."

Olivia closes her eyes, exasperated. "How can you have more than five suitcases when we're wearing a fucking uniform, Vaxey?"

"Always plan, darling, always. I have lingerie, evening wear, winter outfits, fall outfits, formal outfits, informal, very informal for some, and"

"Got it." Mona smiles at Olivia's tired look. "OK, let's go ?"

"What? Is Olivia Marat pushing me to go to a party? What have you done with the real Olivia?" Olivia rolls her eyes.

"Don't get me started," she says. "Tonight I want to make the futile experiment of flirting and kissing anything that even remotely resembles a decent man while totally under the influence of alcohol."

"So many words for so little, Livie."

The two friends laugh and end up leaving the dormitory, heading towards the Gryffindor common room. They are throwing an end-of-the-year party, promised to be dirty.

Once inside, they head to the bar and Olivia orders three shots of firewhiskey and a grenadine syrup. Mona looks at her with stunned eyes.

"The grenadine is for you, obviously".