XIX

As Yoojung sat in the doctor's office, awaiting the results of the medical tests she had just done, a sense of unease gnawed at her stomach

As Yoojung sat in the doctor's office, awaiting the results of the medical tests she had just done, a sense of unease gnawed at her stomach. She knew that her condition had been deteriorating, despite the facade of normalcy she was able to maintain due to the spell.

Despite the spell that temporarily masked her pain, Yoojung decided to go to the hospital because she knew that her health was deteriorating due to her heart cancer. While it provided relief from physical discomfort, it couldn't conceal the underlying progression of her illness. Yoojung finally recognized the importance of undergoing medical tests to assess the severity of her condition and to receive necessary treatment, even if it meant facing the harsh reality of her illness.

The doctor entered the room, a mix of concern and confusion etched on his features as he reviewed her test results. "Yoojung, I have to say, we were quite surprised by your test results," he began, his tone cautious.

Yoojung forced a smile, though inwardly, she braced herself for the inevitable questions. "Surprised? In what way?" she asked, trying to sound casual.

The doctor hesitated, his brow furrowing in consternation as he studied her chart. "Well, given the progression of your condition, we expected to see more... noticeable symptoms," he explained, his words carefully chosen. In essence, he noticed she didn't look sick.

Yoojung nodded, though inwardly, she couldn't help but feel a surge of panic at the doctor's words. She knew that her condition was worsening, despite the outward appearance of healthiness. "I understand," she replied, her voice carefully neutral. "I've been doing my best to manage my symptoms."

The doctor nodded, though his expression remained skeptical. "Of course," he replied, though there was a lingering doubt in his tone. "Well, just make sure to keep up with your appointments and follow your treatment plan. We'll monitor your progress closely."

Yoojung nodded, her mind already racing with thoughts of how to navigate the delicate balance between truth and secrecy. She knew that she couldn't afford to reveal the truth of the spell Ni-ki had placed on her, not when it meant jeopardizing the fragile semblance of normalcy she had fought so hard to maintain.

The doctor, who happens to work closely with her older brother Dawon, approaches Yoojung with a concerned expression. "Yoojung, your family is deeply concerned about you," he begins gently.

Yoojung's heart skips a beat, knowing she hadn't disclosed her illness to anyone in her family. "I didn't tell them," she admits quietly, her gaze dropping to her hands.

The doctor nods understandingly. "I understand, but your brother Dawon found your medical files," he reveals, his tone grave. "He was about to read them when I intervened."

Yoojung's breath catches in her throat, a mixture of fear and relief flooding through her. She hadn't anticipated Dawon discovering her secret, and the thought of him learning the truth filled her with apprehension. Yet, the doctor's intervention spared her from having to confront that reality, at least for the time being.