XXI

As the days stretched into nights and the weight of grief settled over Yoojung like a heavy shroud, she found herself unable to find solace in sleep

As the days stretched into nights and the weight of grief settled over Yoojung like a heavy shroud, she found herself unable to find solace in sleep. Night after night, she lay awake, her mind consumed by memories of her father, her heart heavy with heartbreak.

The tears came unbidden, flowing freely down her cheeks as she mourned the loss of the man who had been her rock, her protector, her father. She cried until her eyes were red and swollen, until her throat was raw from the force of her sobs, but still, the pain remained, a constant ache in the depths of her soul.

Ni-ki watched from the sidelines, his heart aching at the sight of Yoojung's suffering. He longed to offer her some sort of help, to ease the burden of her grief, but he knew not how to reach her, how to bridge the divide between them.

He had spent centuries honing his skills as a warrior, mastering the art of combat and strategy, but when it came to matters of the heart, he found himself utterly lost. He was a Vampire, born and bred to be strong, to endure, but in the face of Yoojung's tears, he felt powerless, his strength meaningless in the face of her pain.

And so, he could only watch, as Yoojung cried herself to sleep each night, her grief echoing in the stillness of the night. He wished he could offer her words of comfort, a shoulder to lean on like he saw Humans did whenever another Human was sad, but he knew that some wounds ran too deep, that some sorrows could not be so easily assuaged.

He simply remained by her side, a silent sentinel in the darkness, his presence a silent testament to the depth of his devotion. Though he may not have known how to comfort her as a Human would, he vowed to stand by her because he too loved Jungwon.

=

Feeling the weight of the situation pressing down on him, Ni-ki stood awkwardly in the doorway of Yoojung's room, his usual confidence replaced by a sense of unease. He cleared his throat, the words coming out stiffly as he addressed her. "Yoojung," he began, his voice betraying his discomfort. "You haven't eaten in days. You should go do that."

Yoojung's response was immediate, her frustration evident in the sharpness of her tone. "I'm not hungry," she snapped, her words tinged with irritation. He had been nagging to get out of her isolation, and she had enough of it.

Ni-ki sighed inwardly, knowing that his attempts at reasoning with her would likely fall on deaf ears. He wasn't so sure on how to persuade a Human, after all. He took a step forward, his expression earnest as he tried to convey the gravity of the situation. "Yoojung," he started. "I know you're hurting, but starving yourself won't make it better. You need to eat."

But Yoojung remained resolute, her refusal unwavering as she turned away from him, retreating further into her cocoon of isolation. Ni-ki felt a pang of frustration mingled with helplessness, wishing desperately that he knew how to ease her pain.