chapter 29

**Chapter 29: "Whispers in the Shadows"**

The echoes of the Garba night still lingered in the college corridors as dawn broke over the campus, casting long shadows that seemed to stretch and twist with a sinister intent. In the quiet stillness of the early morning, Sidharth and Shehnaaz found themselves drawn together once again, seeking solace in each other's arms amidst the looming uncertainty.

As they walked hand in hand along the deserted pathways, the events of the previous night weighed heavily on their minds. The joy of the Garba festivities had been overshadowed by a sense of impending doom, a feeling that something dark and malevolent lurked just beyond the edges of their awareness.

**Shehnaaz:** (*voice tinged with concern*) Sidharth, kuch ajeeb si darr sa lag raha hai. Jaise koi aas paas hi ho, par hum dekh nahi pa rahe hain.

**Sidharth:** (*tightening his grip on Shehnaaz's hand*) Main bhi wahi feel kar raha hoon, Shehnaaz. Kuch gadbad hai, aur mujhe lagta hai ki hume tayyar rehna hoga.

Their words hung in the air, heavy with unspoken fears and uncertainties. But amidst the darkness that threatened to engulf them, they found strength in each other, a beacon of light in the encroaching shadows.

As they reached a secluded spot beneath the shade of a sprawling tree, Shehnaaz turned to face Sidharth, her eyes searching his for answers.

**Shehnaaz:** Kya humein kuch karna chahiye, Sidharth? Yeh jo bhi hai, humein uske baare mein pata lagana chahiye.

**Sidharth:** Haan, lekin humein savdhan bhi rehna hoga. Kuch gadbad ho rahi hai, aur humein tayyar rehna hoga agar humein uska saamna karna padta hai.

Their conversation was interrupted by the distant sound of footsteps echoing through the empty corridors. Instinctively, they drew closer together, their senses heightened by the eerie stillness of the morning.

Suddenly, from the shadows emerged Arti, her face twisted in a malevolent sneer as she fixed her gaze on Shehnaaz and Sidharth.

**Arti:** Well, well, well, look what we have here. Sidharth and Shehnaaz, the campus lovebirds. Quite the scandalous affair, isn't it?

Shehnaaz bristled at the mocking tone in Arti's voice, her instincts telling her that trouble was brewing.

**Shehnaaz:** Kya chahti ho tum, Arti? Kyun humein pareshan kar rahi ho?

**Arti:** Oh, don't play innocent with me, Shehnaaz. I know what's going on between you and Sidharth. And let me tell you, it won't be long before everyone else finds out too.

Sidharth stepped forward, his jaw clenched with barely contained anger.

**Sidharth:** Tumhari bas ki baat nahi hai, Arti. Humara personal life humare aur humare family ke beech mein hai. Tum apna kaam karo aur humein chain se jeene do.

Arti's smirk widened, her eyes gleaming with malicious intent.

**Arti:** Oh, I intend to do much more than that, Sidharth. Just you wait and watch.

With a final taunting laugh, Arti disappeared back into the shadows, leaving behind an unsettling sense of foreboding.

As the sun rose higher in the sky, Sidharth and Shehnaaz stood together in silence, their hearts heavy with the weight of Arti's threats. But amidst the uncertainty that loomed on the horizon, they found solace in each other's presence, a silent promise to face whatever challenges came their way, together.

---

Later that day, as Shehnaaz sat in her hostel room, her thoughts still consumed by the encounter with Arti, she decided to seek counsel from an unexpected source—Sidharth's mother, Rita Maa.

With a determined resolve, Shehnaaz dialed Rita Maa's number, her heart pounding with apprehension as she waited for the call to connect.

After a few rings, Rita Maa's warm voice filled the line, instantly putting Shehnaaz at ease.

**Rita Maa:** Hello, Shehnaaz beta. Kaise ho?

**Shehnaaz:** Namaste, Rita Maa. Main theek hoon, par kuch pareshani hai.

As Shehnaaz poured out her concerns to Rita Maa, she found comfort in the older woman's wise words and gentle reassurance. Rita Maa listened patiently, offering words of wisdom and encouragement that helped ease Shehnaaz's troubled mind.

**Rita Maa:** Beta, har mushkil ka samna karna padta hai. Par agar tum dono saath ho, toh koi bhi mushkil aasan ho jata hai. Sidharth ne mujhe hamesha bataya hai ki tum ek dusre ke saath khush raho, aur mujhe yakeen hai ki tum dono is mushkil ka saamna bhi saath mein karoge.

**Shehnaaz:** Thankyou, Rita Maa. Aapki baatein sun kar mujhe bahut achha laga. Main wada karti hoon ki hum dono saath mein is mushkil ka samna karenge.

**Rita Maa:** Yehi toh rishta hai, beta. Ek dusre ka saath dena, mushkil waqt mein bhi. Aur main hamesha yahaan hoon, tum dono ke liye.

Feeling a sense of relief wash over her, Shehnaaz thanked Rita Maa once again before ending the call. As she sat in her room, her heart felt lighter knowing that she had someone wise and supportive like Rita Maa in her corner.

Meanwhile, in his own hostel room, Sidharth wrestled with his own thoughts, the encounter with Arti still fresh in his mind. He paced back and forth, his mind swirling with a mix of anger and apprehension.

**Sidharth:** (*to himself*) Yeh Arti ka kya plan hai? Kyun humein pareshan kar rahi hai? Aur Shehnaaz ko kyun target kar rahi hai?

His thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door. Opening it, he found his friend and fellow PG, Aryan, standing there with a concerned look on his face.

**Aryan:** Kya baat hai, yaar? Tu itna pareshan kyun lag raha hai?

**Sidharth:** (*sighs*) Kuch nahi, Aryan. Bas thoda tension ho gaya.

**Aryan:** Tension? Ab kya ho gaya? Koi ladki ko pata liya tera?

Sidharth's expression softened, a faint smile tugging at the corners of his lips.

**Sidharth:** Nahi yaar, aisi koi baat nahi hai. Bas thoda sa stress hai college ke kaam se.

**Aryan:** (teasingly) Haan haan, pata hai mujhe. Hum sab ko pata hai ki tu Shehnaaz ke liye itna pareshan kyun hota hai.

Sidharth rolled his eyes, but there was a warmth in his gaze as he thought of Shehnaaz. Despite the challenges they faced, she was his anchor in the storm, a source of strength and support that he cherished more than anything.

As the day wore on, Sidharth and Shehnaaz found themselves drawn together once again, seeking comfort and reassurance in each other's presence. And though the shadows of uncertainty still lingered, they faced the challenges ahead with a newfound resolve, knowing that together, they could weather any storm that came their way.