Chapter 6: Quagmire Incidents

With a sense of urgency driving her every move, Haerin navigated the corridors with precision, her senses finely attuned to her surroundings, with Danielle following closely behind her— who was unusually quiet for some time now.

As they reached the west side of the building, Haerin located the ventilation shaft and carefully removed the cover, allowing herself access to the duct.

"Marsh, keep a lookout here while I go in. If you see anything suspicious, give me a heads up." Haerin said, turning to the girl.

“Alright. I'll be your watchful guardian, ready to swoop in at a moment's notice. Just be sure to come back in one piece.“ Danielle replied with false seriousness, a playful glint in her eye despite the situation they were currently in.

Haerin couldn't help but roll her eyes at Danielle's response. But she quickly finds her focus again and ducks into the vent. Slipping inside, Haerin began to crawl through the narrow passage, her movements deliberate and controlled. The sound of her own breathing echoed in her ears as she made her way closer to the House Chamber, her heart pounding with anticipation.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Haerin reached the end of the ventilation shaft and peered through the grate, taking in the scene before her. Inside the chamber, the terrorists stood watch over their captive, the President, who sat bound and gagged in a chair at the center of the room.

As Haerin focused on the task at hand, her concentration was suddenly broken by the sound of movement behind her. Glancing back, she saw Danielle, her fellow operative, squeezing into the cramped space of the ventilation shaft alongside her.

"What are you doing here?" Haerin hissed, her frustration evident as she struggled to make room for Danielle.

"I'm not letting you have all the fun," Danielle replied with a smirk, unfazed by Haerin's irritation. "Besides, we both know I'm better at this than you."

Haerin's jaw clenched at Danielle's taunt, her annoyance growing with each passing moment. "Didn't I just tell you to stay put?!" she snapped, her voice low but intense. "We have a mission to complete, and your reckless behavior could jeopardize everything."

Danielle rolled her eyes, undeterred by Haerin's admonishments. "Relax, Haerin," she retorted, her tone flippant. "I'm here to be your angel for the day.“

With a frustrated sigh, Haerin turned her attention back to the task at hand, trying to ignore Danielle's presence beside her. Despite her irritation, she knew that they needed to work together if they were going to succeed in rescuing the President and stopping the terrorists.

As they continued through the ventilation shaft, they discussed their options in hushed tones.

"We need to distract the terrorists somehow," Haerin whispered, her mind racing with possibilities.

While Haerin observed from her vantage point, Danielle racked her brain for a plan. Suddenly, inspiration struck.

"I have an idea," Danielle whispered excitedly. "What if we create a diversion using the emergency sprinkler system? We could set off the alarms, while we make our move."

Haerin considered Danielle's suggestion, impressed by its simplicity and effectiveness. "That could work," she admitted, nodding in approval. "But we'll need to act fast. Once we trigger the sprinklers, we'll only have a small window of opportunity to take down the terrorists and rescue the President."

"I'll access the sprinklers. You stay put and be ready to act," Danielle instructed, her voice firm but tinged with urgency.

Haerin nodded in understanding, her eyes reflecting a mixture of trust and determination. With a silent affirmation, Danielle swiftly navigated through the vent, her mind focused on the task at hand. She lands on the floor with a thud and immediately gets to work.