-13-

the sun had barley crossed the sandy horizon and the many moons had already began their climb into the sky

paul sat with mili and his mother as she lied on a soft surface. "how are you?" mili asks jessica, worried. "better." she replies. "how's she?" paul asks looking at her slightly bulging stomach. "she was frightened but she's... she's okay." she replies.

jessica looks up at the two with stern eyes. "paul." she whispers.

"she talks to me." she continues.

paul looks at his mother, having nothing to say. "she believes in you, paul." she says her eyes growing more stern.

"paul?" mili asks noticing the tension.

"she says.. the kwisatz haderach, show us the way." jessica says sitting up.

she harshly grabs her sons wrist, sending a shooting pain through his whole arm. "you're so close! now. only one step remains and you will become the kwisatz haderach!!" she begins to yell as heads turn in their direction.

"only one step remains! you must do what i did! drink the water of life! for your mind.. to open! and you will see."

paul's eyes widen as his brows furrow. he has the look of horror painted on his face.

"you will see. the beauty and the horror!" she harshly speaks in fremen.

mili looks at paul, his eyes looking half heartbroken. although he hadn't actually lost his mother. he felt like he did. this was not her.

-

"you want to fight with us? first thing you must learn.. is to be one with the desert." silagar says.
"so, here is a tent, and enough food." he says handing him a pack.

"i want you to cross that small desert surface, and come back." he says pointing to a flat surface not too far away.

"be back by night. you know how to use a small paracompass?" he asks. "yes. thanks to mili." paul smiles at the thought of her. "anything else i should know?" paul asks. "no." still far says before patting his shoulder

chani, shishakli and mili sat atop a dune, watching as paul sand walked off.

"he doesn't know how to cross. he's gonna get himself killed." chani laughs. mili just sits there watching her love interest sand walk.

"what is he trying to prove?" mili asks. "what do you think." shishakli says. "the prophet shall know the ways of the desert." she recites.

"it's for the best, mili." chani says looking at her sad face. she doesn't budge. "what's this? you found love with the outsider?" shishakli asks mili. mili just stares at paul. she grunts in response as she stands up and speed walks in paul's direction.

-

paul traversed across the desert. one foot infront of the other, another swirling across the sand mimicking soft wind. no worms had attacked yet leaving paul to believe that he was doing well. the sun had just set leaving a darkness casted across the planet.