Chapter 13: The Change

The next month went by quickly for class 1-A.  Atsushi and Akutagawa were growing accustomed to the now required therapy twice a week.

School was going great, and by some miracle, the villains hadn't attacked them since the one time where Atsushi and Akutagawa danced the battle the class would never forget.

Atsushi had started a tutoring group alongside Momo and a very begrudging Bakugou that Atsushi had by some miracle convinced to help out.

Due to the tutoring, the lowest grade of all of them was still Kaminari, but it was a B-, something he never thought he would have been able to get before Atsushi's help.

Aside from the changes that already had happened, it seemed more were in the works.

"Hello class!" Dazai eccentrically shouted upon his entrance to the class.  "Today is the day!"

Dazai was introducing detective and deduction work to the heroics class. They had been studying different circumstances of crimes for a month now.

"The day we begin detective work!" He practically sang this out.

"Tch." Chuuya was far less enthusiastic about the new unit than Dazai, preferring to fight first, figure out later.

"And what is the best way to work on detective work students?" All Might was, as always, enthusiastic. When no one answered he shouted, "Real life practice!"

Suddenly, Dazai gasped, as if he hadn't told All Might to say that. "Mr. Grins-a-lot is right, real practice really is the best way for you to be a good detective. Which is why...we're going on a field trip!" As Dazai said this last part, he threw his arms up over his head in enthusiasm.

The class burst out in excitement.  The information that they were once more going on a trip was exciting, and they wondered what sort of real life experience they would get.

***

They weren't expecting this.

Most of the class was standing in shock, and a few of the group were puking in the bushes before they would have to cross the caution tape.

Some of them, although recognizing the morbidity of the situation, were excited about what they had concluded from the situation.

They were actually going to do detective work.

For a brutal murder that had been discovered and reported on that same afternoon.

"Alright class, gather round."

The dead body was that of a middle aged woman. She had brunette hair splayed out behind her head, and there were flowers spread everywhere around where the body lay.

She wore a white sundress stained with blood now, and seemed to have a knife slash arcing from her right-upper chest to her down to her left waist.

It was brutal.

The majority of the class averted their eyes from the gruesome scene, but some were just staring at it.

Akutagawa, Atsushi, Midoriya, Tokoyami, and Bakugou were all staring, examining the surroundings and the body.

"I know that this is not what any of you expected when I said real world experience, but this is the best thing I can do for you guys." Dazai was very serious compared to his usual self.

"Death is a serious matter, and Dazai here is an expert in it." Chuuya explained. "After all, he is a detective by profession."

At this, the class was shocked.

There were various responses to this new fact presented to them, but what stood out was Ojiro asking, "Does that mean you aren't a pro hero?  I mean, we had always just sort of assumed you were one in another country."

"No, me and Chuuya are not, by any means, heroes."  Dazai told them. "I have been a detective since I was 20, so a little over two years, and Chuuya here truthfully works for a different organization altogether that mine teams up with when the need arises."

"What!"

"You guys aren't heroes!"

"Where does Chuuya-sensei work then!"

"But what if you guys got hurt!?"

"Principal Nezu really hired you despite the dangers he would put you in?!"

The class erupted.

"Shut up!" Chuuya yelled.  "Please, do tell me why this makes a difference.  We are still the same people, we just don't work as heroes."

"But what if you guys get hurt?  There's a reason why all the teachers at UA are traditionally heroes.  It's not just for our safety, but theirs as well." Iida pointed out.

"Have we done anything to make you think we are not competent fighters?" Chuuya asked.  "Our actual jobs are just as dangerous as being a hero is, but unlike hero's, we see all sides of the story.  Dazai to be a detective and me for reasons I'm not permitted to disclose."

"Can other jobs really be that dangerous?" Sero wondered aloud.

Dazai was the one to talk this time, "Indeed Sero, Chibi here's job actually has him fight on just about a daily basis, and my work as a detective isn't what you see here in Musutafu.  Where we live, my agency is known as one of three great powers.  The other two are the government and where Chibi works."

"Three great powers?"

"Ah!  I expected you to pick up on that Freckles-Chan!  Great job, yes, we come from a country that puts its trust in us three organizations and we all operate for the benefit of it, albeit, not always getting along." Dazai explained.

"But...how does the country not fall into civil war if you all don't get along?" Uraraka wondered.

"The answer is simple." Dazai said. "We all love our country. It is a safe haven to all, good or bad.  Quirked or quirkless."

It was small, but some students saw Midoriya perk up at this information.

"Isn't everywhere a haven for civilians, quirkless included?" Kaminari asked.

"No. When the studies say that 20% of the population is quirkless, that's a study from many years ago now. It's more like 1% of the population being quirkless." Midoriya spouted the odd fact.

"Correct Midoriya." Dazai purred. "I'd it really was 20%, one of every five people you meet would have quirks.  Has anyone here met a quirkless person?"

Only Bakugou and Midoriya raised their hands.

"So some of you have!" Dazai seemed excited.  His face suddenly became far too serious. "And how would you say they were treated?"