5| Anti-Adult

''In this world, all it takes is a couple thousand and the smile of a liar to make any dream come true''

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

A/N: little guessing game, who's POV do you think will be in the next chapter? Without reading it of course, but I just want to see the drastic change of assumption from beginning to end in a chapter. I'll ask again by the end of it. Enjoy 🌞

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

It wasn't a gunshot.

I stood still, relieved.

But a sound like that couldn't just be ignored. I've seen too many horror movies to know you're fucked eitherway. But if you were to die, let curiosity kill the cat instead of tripping over something like air.

The sound coming from the kitchen sounded an awful lot like a boiling pot hitting the linoleum. Pocketing my hands into Reese's pants, I force my shoulders to fall, and near the kitchen area.

The closer I walked, the more prominent a familiar voice had become.

It was Sebàstian.

The cook.

There's clear hesitation in my steps when I arrive just a foot away from the open area. I usually love to admit that I was right.

But if being proven right comes with the burden of a grieving man attempting to drown himself in his own work to escape the sudden reality that hit him, this time around? I'd rather pass.

''Let me try again,'' His southern Italian had been more pronounced.

He sounded pained. Almost frustrated like he couldn't concentrate no matter how hard he tried. It showed in the way many pots and pans cling together with the grunt followed. I eventually peek my head behind the quoin.

Only the top of his head was visible beneath the rather wide island in the middle of the room. He was crouching. But I didn't hear the oven open. I could only imagine he was running fingers down his face.

It pained me.

How could it not?

''Let me try again,'' he repeated before waiting a while. Eventually, he stood to his full length. Towering over the kitchen he had overworked, his neck seems to be taking most of the strain.

I take cautious steps towards the kitchen in front of me.

But I pause when I hear a little creak behind me.

Instead of running upstairs or, god forbid, outside; I narrowed down my options. I lived with D1 for four years and basically my entire life before the mission began.