the wedding

"i knew you were just fucking each other," says nam, looking up and blowing smoke out of her mouth.

freen glares at her former comrade. "why do things usually sound bad whenever they come out of your mouth?"

nam chuckles. "when i heard the news about you two hanging out, i knew it's all about sex. everyone knows this chick of yours has a reputation of playing around."

nam nods her head in the direction of their table where charlotte is talking animatedly to mind and song. "i'm still asking myself what were you thinking when you got yourself involved with her. i've never seen you as someone who'll take things casually."

freen takes a deep breath in, inhaling the fresh sea breeze. "i guess this is my way of trying to live a normal life. this is what all of you wanted, for me to mingle again, right?"

"well, yes, we want that. more importantly, we want you to be happy. are you happy with her?"

freen thinks for a moment. "she... she makes me feel things..."

"things..." nam smirks. "that's your libido speaking, man." freen throws a dried leaf her way, and she laughs. "c'mon. you wouldn't be joining me here in my cig break if you're really into her. you're not even a smoker."

freen sighs. "i don't know... i just... i guess i just want to step out here and loosen up a bit. there are many people inside."

nam hums, putting the cigarette back into her mouth, inhaling a waft of smoke, before blowing it in the opposite direction. "it's still the milf, right?"

"milf?"

"'mom-i'd-like-to-fuck'." nam quotes with her fingers. freen punches her arm. "yah! i'm just trying to lighten up the mood! chill, man!"

"don't talk about her in that way," says freen, brows furrowed.

"i know. i'm sorry. she's still hot though," says nam. freen raises her hand for another smack. "i'm just saying! on a serious note, it's still the mother of the kid we saved from two years ago, right?"

freen says nothing. she turns away from nam and looks far ahead.

"admirable," says nam.

"it sucks, to be honest." freen sighs. "it's like i'm stuck in the same place while her life keeps moving. i don't fucking know why my brain is still not accepting it's already over for us. it's been like what, nine years?"

they leave the topic hanging in the air for a moment while feeling the blow of the wind and listening to echoes of the sea waves.

"to be honest, i wouldn't blame you for still hoping," says nam. "i've seen how uncomfy she looked when charlotte came. i and mind were observing her the whole time while you and charlotte pda-ed. you guys ruined her mood.