the neighbour

she can tell becky is happy with her decision.

when freen wakes up, she finds becky cooking at the stove with a phone pressed between her ear and shoulder. freen's eyes lingers on the woman who's wearing an oversized white shirt which she borrowed last night (she forgot to bring extra clothes due to the emergency) and a pair of shorts, her hair tied up in a messy bun.

"... prefer a fully furnished apartment ready for occupancy right away." a brief pause. "yes, i've looked online but yours is the best. and i'm glad you're very responsive." another pause. "yes, we'll be driving there after lunch. expect a call from me around four in the afternoon. thank you. i'll see you later."

freen keeps staring in silence, not wanting to interrupt. staring at becky still makes her heart flutters. although a huge part in her still feels empty and lifeless, but becky's mere presence warms up something inside like it's bringing out a light that's been buried in the darkness.

"gosh. you scared me!" becky jumps when she turns around to place the phone on the counter. "i didn't hear you get up."

freen stands there in silence, poker-faced.

"by the way, i found an apartment for you." becky turns back to the stove. "it's about fifteen minutes walk from my house. i know it's not that far, but at least you could still have some privacy to yourself." she turns off the stove and pours the contents into a bowl, which freen identifies as one of her favourite breakfast. "i hope you're okay with transferring there this afternoon?"

freen thinks it is perfect. her mind is already tuning to the right frequency. this is what she wants, to have becky around her, to see becky everyday. it would have been perfect if it weren't for that band on becky's ring finger, reminding freen of the painful reality.

yeah. becky is married. she vowed to protect and fight for that marriage despite the difficulty she and her husband are experiencing.

and becky stayed true to her words. even after her confession about her feelings towards freen, they stayed platonic last night. becky spent the night on the couch and is always giving updates to her husband.

freen scoffs inside, secretly envying mew for getting this woman for his wife -- for witnessing this view every morning.

every darn morning.

boy, he's one lucky guy.

"freen?"

freen blinks.

"you okay?" becky asks.

freen nods.

"so, are you okay with us packing after lunch and transferring this afternoon?"

freen looks away and nods.

it takes a moment becky lets out a small smile.

"noey was happy when i told her," she says, settling the food on the table. "let's eat? we still have to prepare your things so we can drive there after lunch."

without saying any word, freen sits down and fills her plate.

they eat in silence. freen can feel becky's eyes on her from time to time.

---

she's not sure if being around becky is good for her or not.

"you need help there?" asks becky when she noticed how freen's having a hard time buttoning up her flannel.