beautiful dreams

"so, how's becky?"

freen eyes mew, who's sitting on her sofa. she puts the can of beer in front of him. "she's... okay. you've seen each other just the other day, right? when you attended the school activity where emily performed?"

mew reaches out for his beer and nods. "yeah. i mean i want to know how she's doing. is she still feeling guilty? she's been really careful when she talks to me."

"she still feels sad sometimes whenever she thinks of you and emily. but she's doing okay. seeing you start to move on helps her too. and she says you look more handsome after growing some stubble."

mew laughs. "i'm glad she's doing well. i hope you're making her happy as you have promised."

"i'm trying my best." freen sits down and opens her beer. "how about you? how are you doing?"

mew took a deep breath in. "better. getting better." he eyes the beer in his hand. "it's been four months. it would be a lie to say i'm a hundred percent okay now. but i'm getting there. crying days are finally over. and becky's proven to me how great of a friend she can be despite what happened to us. somehow it makes me feel we're better off as friends."

"mmm-mmm. anything or anyone keeping you occupied lately?"

"i have been going out with my mates lately to have some fun." mew pauses and thinks. "and then there's this fellow doctor, two years younger than i am, a divorcee, who's been my confidant after this whole ordeal blew up."

freen nods. "are you guys going out now?"

"well..." mew shrugs. "misery loves company, you know. we haven't talked about our relationship yet, but i bet she would agree that we're filling in a void in each other's lives."

"and it helps during night times, right?" freen smirks.

mew lets out a loud laugh. "i ain't answering that." he waves his finger in the air. "but a man has his needs. a woman has her needs too."

"okay."

"by the way, how's you and becky after the winter school break started?"

"it's hard to see each other lately. becky doesn't want emily to have suspicions."

"suspicions about?"

"about me and her mom seeing each other."

"what?" mew chuckles. "she knows, man!"

"s-she knows?"

"yeah. what makes you think she doesn't know? she told me she knows whenever her mom goes out to see you cos becky always comes home looking happy."

freen looks away. "then what was the hiding all for?"