With open hearts

Henry Hart

Everything worked out! Our operation was successful. Well... almost one hundred percent, since Drex managed to escape. The most important thing we got, we saved Henry. All merit be given to Page and Charlotte. When I arrived desperate in the living room, I came across an unexpected scene. Charlotte was sitting in a corner and Page was hugging Henry. The way back home was in silence, everyone was too tired to talk, despite the silence I felt that everyone was happy with the result. Many things happened when we arrived at the cave man, Charlotte and I took the opportunity to rest because we should go back to our search as soon as possible. Charlotte hasn't said much since we arrived, but I suppose it's because of fatigue.

What's going to happen to Henry? He will have to surrender to the city authorities since he has committed many crimes, he seems to be calm about it. It hasn't come out on Page's side since it arrived. After a few hours, Char and I decided to prepare to return to our mission and I'm sure there's something strange about Charlotte. She barely talks to me and doesn't look me in the face.

- Page, do you know what she has? - I ask indicating with a look at Char.

- Give her a break... - It's Page's advice. But your words are not enough, I need to know what's going on.

We started saying goodbye to the staff and then Schwoz appears excited.

- I did it! - He speaks jumping for joy. Everyone looks at him waiting for the explanation - You will find your friend! - He exclaims cheerfully.

– What? What do you mean? - I ask confused.

- I modified the device you had, I managed to improve it... I don't know how my version of your dimension didn't think about it - Schwoz starts talking quickly.

– Schwoz explains us right – Charlotte exclaims anxiously.

- I changed the device to fall into the exact dimension where Jasper is - He explains slowly and I can't believe his words. Char seems as surprised as I am.

– Schwoz thank you very much – It's the only thing I can say.

Schwoz gives Charlotte the instructions on how the device works. And then she opens a portal in front of us. I look at her waiting for some signal, but she only enters the portal without warning and I'll go next. And as always we are in the same alley.

- Let's go to the places where Jasper usually goes, his house, the trinkets... we split up to be faster - Charlotte begins to explain methodically.

- Char, what happened? - I ask without fuss.

- Henry, we have no time to waste, let's go... - She talks turning her back on me and walking. I'll go after her and hold her arm, making her stop.

- You're not well... tell me what happened - I insist.

- I'm fine, Henry! - She still says on her back.

- Turn around and say that looking at me - I ask her. She turns slowly, but with her eyes down and gradually raises her head. Her eyes are full of tears, but she swallows dry and her expression becomes serious

- I'm fine Henry! - She says, but her eyes say otherwise. Your look is changing, showing anger - I'm fine! - Says angry once again. She takes my hand off her arm hard and runs away.

I run after Charlotte and end up losing sight of her. I suppose she must be going to her house, since this is the closest place here. But why I don't know. I don't really understand anything. I know she's angry with me, I just don't know why. Maybe she realized what a terrible friend I am, or she's angry because I made her go through all this... I don't know, maybe I did or said something stupid.

I arrive at Charlotte's house and try to open the door, but it's locked. I decided to go around the house to see if I can find a window and I find a window open. I approach with caution and the scene I see is Charlotte shrunk in her bed. I'm in doubt if I enter or not, finally decided give her a break, as Page herself said. I don't know how long I've been waiting outside, at that time I was trying to remember if I had done something stupid and I was also thinking about what I was going to say. I get up and take a deep breath several times, Charlotte is still the same way. I slowly smat the window and say calmly: - It's me.

She gets out of bed and turns to look at me. I jump the window, entering your room. Her face reveals that she cried a lot, she looks at me a little sad and with her choked voice says: - I'm sorry... I - I shake her head in negative, she doesn't owe me any excuse. I get closer and sit next to you in bed.

– Char doesn't need to apologize to me, I insisted... Forgive me if I did something stupid - I mean. She looks at me with a small smile on her face.

– You didn't do anything Henry... It's just that... - Her look becomes vague. So I hold your hand, taking her attention again - I'm tired Henry... of these crazy things... we've seen so much and... - Your tone is more distressed with every word. I shake her hand, making her look at me again.

- It's scary, right? - I say honestly. She shakes her head in agreement.

- It's as if I felt a little of every version I met... I remember the sadness of that first Charlotte who had her mind erased... of the bad Charlotte full of hatred... and the latter was too much for me - Charlotte is falling in front of me and it scares me. Your voice becomes more and more tearful and tears begin to fall little by little - Henry, I saw you pointing a gun at me, you looked at me with hatred and anger... I had to fight with you... and then I look at you and everything confuses me... - She finally looks me in the eyes, a desperate look - I don't want you to become like that, even that we fight and stop being friends... none of that - Your words come out like an afflicted request.

It hurts my heart to see Charlotte like that. I hug her tightly and say: - I will never become like him, never. She tries to say something, but crying prevents her. I don't know what to do, because I've never been on this side. I'm the friend who freaks out and Charlotte is the one who advises me. I take a long sigh.

– Char, I also feel scared like you, I just want to go home... and we are almost close to leaving... when I feel scared, I try to remember home... then I look at you and remember our dimension and that things are totally different there. You need to remember home - I'm totally honest with her. She then returned my hug, wrapping her arms in me - I give my word to you that I will never let any of this we have seen happen - I say.

- Thank you Henry - She speaks quietly.

Usually when we hug, Charlotte always walks away quickly. She doesn't like physical contact very much, but this time she doesn't show it. We remain embraced in silence. Before I felt her heart pulsate rapidly and her breathing was heavy, but now her heart is calmer and her breathing lighter. Her head is resting on my shoulder, she looks like she is finally resting her mind. I confess that I would spend hours like this, because I have her so close to me... I'm sure nothing will hurt her, because I'm by her side, protecting her. I feel at peace by your side, because I remember home. There is a desire in me to caress her hair, something she never lets me do, she barely lets me touch her hair. I carefully caress her hair and she doesn't make any protest, so I continue. I think her heart is speeding up or is it mine... oh I don't know.