27.

The next few days everyone awaited news on Justin. If he would survive and if he would finally be arrested for his crimes.

He ended up being fine, and in result he decided on forfeiting his right to a jury. He decided to plead guilty, in order to avoid a heavier sentence.

The courts still decided on life in prison, without a possibility of parole.

Everyone was sitting in Mariah and Colby's house when the news reported on it.

"It's over?" Calista said with tears streaming down her face, her heart swelled with happiness.

"It's over" Jessica said hugging her friend.

"Thank god" Sam said letting out a sigh of relief.

Colby placed a reassuring hand on his friend's shoulder.

Mariah put her arms around the two girls.

They chatted for a few minutes before Calista and Jessica decided to head back to Calista's.

Jessica had planned on staying for a month just while everything settled down.

"I'm really glad you're here" Calista said as the two walked home side by side.

"Me too, I just can't believe how everything turned out. He really is a monster" Jessica said.

"I can only thank you, for being here quickly and bringing all that stuff, it really helped the police in putting him away" Calista said.

"Hey, any reason to see my best friend, and lock up some asshole" she laughed.

"Well I'm glad to see you too"

"So, change of subject.. what about that absolute smoke show Sam" Jessica winked, shoving her friend a bit with her shoulder.

"Ugh I know right?" She laughed and smiled.

"Now he is fine. They certainly don't make many men like him" Jess fanned herself dramatically.

"Tell me about it, and he's an absolute sweetheart" she smiled.

"Ugh swoooooon" she fake fainted as Calista kept walking, causing Jess to jog and catch back up with her.

"I know, but I highly doubt he's gonna date me after my ex-husband literally TRIED TO MURDER HIM" Calista rolled her eyes.

"Hey, you don't know that?"

"But be so real, girl" she laughed.

"Okay, well you are hot, and a kick ass chef, and you're hot? What else could anyone ask for?" Jess laughed as well.

They finally arrived at the house and went inside to make food.

**

The next day Mariah called Calista after they finished their shift.

M: hey girl!

C: hey what's up?

M: so I'm thinking we throw a BBQ this weekend. To celebrate and introduce Jessica to a few friends, since she'll be here for a month. And maybe to celebrate locking that absolute psychopath up forever?

C: that sounds fun!

M: yeah, so I was hopinggggggg-

C: I would do the baking?

The two girls laughed.

M: yes, I mean you're just so good at it and I've being thinking about those sugar cookies FOREVER!

C: haha fine, only cause I love ya.

M: awesome! I'll do a potluck so everyone can bring whatever, tell Jess that whatever you bring, she can stick her name on it.

C: oh so I do all the hard work, and she gets the credit?

M: Absolutely.

The two laughed and talked more about times and what they were gonna make, before hanging up.

They had decided on 4 pm on Saturday which was in two days, so that they could have a few drinks and maybe watch a movie outside on their projector.

Calista decided she would prep as much as possible Friday after working at the library and then finish everything up on Saturday before the party.

"Yo! Jess!" She shouted.

"Yo!" She heard from the other room.

"I'm gonna go to the store to buy some baking stuff, I'll probably take Hercules with me" she said.

"Oh fun, I'll come" she smiled as she walked into the room.

The two put on their shoes before putting a leash on Hercules and heading out the door.

They walked the 15 mins to the store before tying Hercules up outside and heading inside.

"Alright, so I'm doing cookies, peanut butter, chocolate chip and sugar. I'm also gonna make mini pies and I'm thinking those really good strawberry cheesecake bites that I made for your 14th birthday?" Calista explained while writing ingredients on her list.

"Oh make 5 trays of those cause I will eat those ALLLLLLLL night" she laughed.

"Done" Calista laughed, handing her half of the list "Alright, you grab these ingredients, and I'll grab the rest"

Calista started walking up and down aisles, finding all of her items before walking toward the cash looking for Jessica.

"Calista!" She heard from behind her, turning around she saw Sam with his cart smiling.

"Hey Sam!" She smiled back.

"Buying all the stuff for the BBQ? Mariah said you were baking again" He asked.

"You know it, Jess is around here with the other half"

"Well, now I'm even more excited" Sam chuckled.

"You should be! It's gonna be gooooood" she laughed.

"Well good, I'll see you there" he smiled and walked toward the cashes.

"See ya!" She smiled and waved.

She looked around again for Jess but didn't see her.

She decided to check the produce aisle to see if she was still there.

She recognized her and saw she was talking to someone.

Walking closer she realized it was Jake.

"Hey y'all" she smiled walking up to them.

"Oh hey! You two know each other ?" She asked looking between the two.

"Yeah, he's part of Mariah and Colby's crew" she laughed "you going to the BBQ this weekend?"

"No shit, Mariah said you were bringing desserts" Jake laughed.

"Oh of course, Sam pretty much said the same thing" she laughed.

"Oh Sam's here?" Jess asked.

"Yeah, I think he was leaving though" she said looking back at the cashes, not seeing him.

"Damn, well I should probably get going. I'll see you around tho?" He smiled at Jess.

"Yes, I'll see you this weekend" Jess smiled.

"Cool. I'll see you too Calista" he said heading out to the cashes.

"Did you get everything, or were you too busy flirting with Jake?" Calista laughed.

"I got everything WHILE flirting with Jake, thank you very much" Jess smirked as the two also headed to the cash.

After paying for everything the duo, grabbed Hercules before they went back to Calista's.

_______________________________

Finally getting back to happier times 😭