28.

Friday came, Calista and Mariah were working their regular shift at the library when Mariah walked up to her.

"Hey, I just wanted to ask. How are you doing? With everything? I can't imagine it's easy" she asked Calista.

"Truthfully? I'm okay. I think I'm better than I was when I got here. I feel almost relieved. I don't have to keep looking over my shoulder, worried that he's gonna find me" Calista explained while putting books back on the shelf.

"But isn't it hard? I know he was a terrible person but, you did love him at one point and then he turned into this monster? I just can't imagine that" Mariah said with a deep sigh.

"Not really, the man I loved died years ago. He hasn't been that man in so long that I genuinely can't remember the good days. I think the bad outweighed the good in the end" Calista smiled softly at Mariah.

"Well I'm glad you're doing okay. I'm shocked that you and Sam are just so cool and collected to be honest" Mariah shook her head.

"How is he doing? He's okay?" Calista asked looking toward her with sadness and guilt.

"Yeah, he's back with his therapist he used when his wife died. So I think he's coping well" she smiled.

"Good" Calista said looking away "Mariah..?"

"Yeah?" She said and they looked back at each other.

"He doesn't hate me right?" She asked sadly.

"God no. Why would he hate you?" Mariah seemed shocked.

"Because it was my fault" she said sadly.

"No it wasn't. It was that psychotic assholes fault. Stop blaming yourself" Mariah said grabbing the girl and hugging her.

The two stood in the hug for a moment before going back to work.

"Thank you, for being my friend" Calista smiled at her.

"Hey, I'm glad we're friends. So, did you decide on what you're bringing to the bbq?" Mariah smiled.

The two spent the next couple hours of their shift talking about the bbq and what to wear.

It felt like everything was getting back to normal. A new normal. A better normal.

**

The end of shift came, Calista headed over to the Chinese restaurant down the block and grabbed a bunch of food for her and Jess before heading home. She decided on buying extra so she could snack on it throughout the weekend.

She walked into the house and shouted for Jess, petting Hercules as he came up to her.

"Jess!"

"Hey! We're out back!" She heard coming from the backdoor.

"Who's we?" She laughed as she walked toward the backyard.

Sitting in some lawn chairs were Jess and Jake.

"Oh hey, I didn't know you were here? Good thing too. I bought lots of Chinese food" she laughed putting the big bag on the outdoor patio table.

"Oh thank god I'm starving" Jess laughed.

"Me too, thanks!" Jake smiled.