𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐞𝐧: Losing Patience

Jaemin called Ling's employer and apologized. It wasn't a direct apology, but still an apology. Renjun witnessed it, so the beta couldn't lie.

They forgot the incident after a few days. The beta was all sweet with the omega again, calling him "Junnie" and trying to talk to him. His energy got back, and Renjun could finally return to his chores.

The two were swamped up with the housework, and Jeno was nowhere to be seen as he was on a trip with business matters. Renjun felt better when the alpha wasn't at home, he didn't get in his way, and everything got done faster. However, even when the pureblood alpha wasn't there, the burden he caused was still weighing the omega's shoulders. Renjun kept remembering the signature that was missing and was very confused about his status—who was he, really? It concerned him as it was hard to talk to his parents and say that everything was so perfect in this house when, in fact, it wasn't.

Too bad, he was just an omega and couldn't ask about something so serious as the paperwork. So, he just kept his mouth shut, secretly praying that Lady Brixil wouldn't call them soon. Because things would get complicated. Either Jeno would be forced to sign or the worst—Jeno may openly refuse Renjun as his mate. Both of these were bad. Renjun wanted to be taken seriously, like an actual omega. He didn't want to leave this house. He liked it here and desired to be acknowledged.

That was the moment Renjun realized he had to go harder on everything. He had to put in more effort because, as that one article claimed, alphas were cold, and so was Jeno. The omega really needed to set his image, prove his worth, and cast the alpha's attention. That's what he worked on while Jeno wasn't home.

He got into a better relationship with Jaemin, which wasn't that hard. Mr. Na had already nurtured a better connection between them, so he was happy when Renjun started calling him by his name and appeared "more open to him", which wasn't even close to the truth. Then came the best part. Renjun could naturally request help, and the beta immediately agreed. Soon, the home economist went out to buy a sewing machine even when he appeared skeptical—he thought that whatever Renjun planned, their very own seamstress could do it instead. Then he ordered several fabrics that Renjun chose. Together with the beta, the omega measured Jeno's bed. Then, in the evenings and even at night, he sat down and sewed the alpha new beddings.

He slept less, and soon he felt sick. Jaemin was concerned, saying that the omega overworked himself and should take a few days off. Renjun refused—although no alpha was around, he knew he had to be strong and help Jaemin maintain the household.

Soon, he realized he wasn't just feeling bad. Of course, he felt unwell, but just because his body was preparing for a very important step. His heat. Renjun had headaches and mood swings, but he took those as a positive sign and actually started to believe in something. He recalled someone mentioning that alphas usually bonded with omegas after the sexual act. Maybe starting life with the alpha with his heat help wasn't that bad? Jeno had to learn that Renjun was better than Jaemin in terms of satisfying him. What if they mated and Jeno suddenly fell in love with him?

Renjun truly believed this could happen, and he felt confident when he read the article once again. He flushed his pills of heat suppressants down the toilet, feeling no guilt for doing this as after all, his alpha should take care of him. His heat wasn't only his problem. So, when he heard about Jeno's arrival soon, he was more than glad to wake up with a slight dizziness in his head and a little bit of warmth in the lower part of his stomach. He didn't say anything to Jaemin, and the beta had no clue about his condition, perhaps, thinking he was still unwell because of overworking himself. So, he remained worried.

Jeno's reaction was way different when he sat in the dining room, waiting for lunch and accidentally getting a whiff of Renjun's pheromones as the latter passed by, putting a bowl of radish. The omega pretended that he didn't see anything. However, he felt flattered that at least once, the alpha looked at him differently. Jeno flinched and whipped his head to the omega. He seemed shocked.